Transport An F30 Convertible

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Transport An F30 Convertible

Post by Big D »

It's a sedan/convertible, not sure the year. I'll have to check. Either way, it looks like the bridge would have to come off. Wonder how difficult is it to get at the fasteners?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Found out she's a 1980 but no picks yet.
MTurvey

Post by MTurvey »

I believe my F30 is the Flybridge Sedan (or was it the convertible sedan...or convertible flybridge....hmmm), and we didn't have to take off the flybridge when it was trucked from Gig Harbor to Seattle, Washington. I'm not sure if the story would have been different if the journey was longer. They did take down the radar arch, bimini top/ frame & antennas, but that was it.
Melissa

Trojan F-30 " The Shadow"
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

Well I have experience with moving my 1976 36 ft tri fly, which I would think is larger or equal to the 30' you are speaking of. All I had to do was remove the window and railings off the flybridge as well as the rails for the canvas,

IMPORTANT NOTE when you take the canvas poles down, number them and what is port and starboard side, I thought "oh how can I screw this up?" when it came time to reassemble and the canvas did not fit right it was re arrange, turn around and I will never know how it went, mind you it was a new boat to me and I hab never seen the canvas on it before I bought it from the bailiff.

The hydraulic trailer is key as it has adjusable height and my boat at least had to be scarily low to the pavement to clear, the majic # for transport was 13'6"
and even then you cannot go under all bridges, equally impotant are overhead wires (phone hydro cable) any transporter worth his salt will know there are designated roads for overheight loads. Depending how far it is you could as I did, drive the route in advance and look for hazards.

One more important note... when your boat is as low as possible as is need for this type of move adjust your prop so the blades have max clearance, when I moved my boat for the first time (I paid $1,000 for about 120 miles) my props where not as such ( one blade down) and I got a ding in one of my props but could not prove it and did not feel like starting a war with the hauler
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

Big D wrote:It's a sedan/convertible, not sure the year. I'll have to check. Either way, it looks like the bridge would have to come off. Wonder how difficult is it to get at the fasteners?
if its anything like mine, all the interior headliners have to come down. Not fun
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Looking at one in the marina, to me looks like the sides of the fly bridge extend down past the fly bridge deck by about 4 inches. Like of like a tab. I can't tell how it's bolted down but rooferDave might be right. If it would help I can take a pick of this one tomorrow.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Any pics would help. I'm convinced the bridge has to come off. The least amount of hieght with the top rail off is about 12'9" with props and rudders off, plus trailer height.
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

No problem. I'll take some photos after work tomorrow.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

Big D wrote:Any pics would help. I'm convinced the bridge has to come off. The least amount of hieght with the top rail off is about 12'9" with props and rudders off, plus trailer height.

trailer = no height as the hydraulic lowers to what you need, with rudders on and top rail off with room for suspension is 13'6"
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Looking at it makes me think that the flybridge is bolted from the inside of the boat. The side seating is part of the sides as is the helm. Because of this there is zero access up top.

Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Yup that's it. Looks like the headliner has to come down on both sides. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics. I've been asked to remove the bridge so just wanted a heads up. It's a waiting game now.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I concur - looks like a pain in the but job.

BUT I do like this model!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

FYI, trip was successful. Bridge of F30 sedan/bridge does not have to come off for transport on a hydraulic trailer but man was it close :shock: Nothing had to come off such as railing, windshield, etc.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I was thinking the Bridges are taller north of the border , I believe Ready posted something on that a while back .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jewelers Pride

Post by Jewelers Pride »

I have a F30 flybridge express, and yes the top must come off. I had a custom trailer built for it, I dry store it in the winter. the top of the flybridge is 15' 2" on the trailer, when its off it is !2' 9" and legal. Hope that helps. Putting it back on is a 3 man affair and takes about 3 hours start to finish. Regards, Mark