Looks Like a new motor.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

Looks Like a new motor.

Post by marklo154 »

Well looks like after everything a new, or newer motor is going to be needed to replace the port side, Had a few people take a look at things, all things point to cracked block ( this is not confirmed by a marine mechanic ) but with the amount of water I`m getting in the oil it seems to be what everyone is thinking.

My questions now are, what are my options. New , used etc etc. ?

Estimated costs for this ?

I have contacted a few local marine mechanic shops and I really not getting much information from anyone as of yet.

I still have lots of other things to fix on the boat, no lack of things to do that's for sure. But it sure would be nice to take her out for a ride . Motors are crusaders 270 1985 have been previous rebuilt

How does the motor come out and the new one go in ???

F-36 Tri Cabin
dual Crusaders 270
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
rooferdave
Moderate User

Re: Looks Like a new motor.

Post by rooferdave »

how about try bad head gasket? pull all your plugs and turn over engine if water comes out one its a head gasket, prob 4 hours work and about 400 at a machine shop and 150 for gaskets, guy at our club had the same problem he drained I think 3 or four gallons of milky crap out his crankcase, had the heads machined and new gaskets and no more problem. Re and re motors is a long process typically consisting of tearing engine down and putting through a door and building replacement engine in the cabin, if not it entails cutting out part of your boat to get complete engine out. At least this is the way with the flybridges
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

I would guess ballpark re and re engine by a mechanic about 2 thousand plus parts, new engine 5-6 thousand used engine 800-1500

just some numbers to put you in the range, I am sure others will have their own estimates
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Daves figures look reasonable enough to me. So does his head gasket theory.

I dunno which years of the Tri had the removable cover on the foredeck to hoist out engines, but someone here does. Arron or Jim likely.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I believe the 77 on have the removable section . if its a mid engine it has the the removable section . I believe this one is the aft engine . So the process is as Dave describes .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bigrgh

Post by bigrgh »

check head gasket for sure
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
woodendave

Post by woodendave »

Also check exhoust manifold often the cause.
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Well I`m still having motor issues, I am having absolutely no luck finding a marine mechanic to come look at my motor or even getting a return phone call for that matter. I have had a few friends that are pretty into cars come back out and help me out which has been great but still havn`t found the root of the problem,most are saying even the good engine will need a replacement or rebuild soon. Going to be getting into removing the heads next and seeing if that is the issue. I have been reading and researching alot of past post on here lots of great information and has helped me out alot.

A few questions:

1) Is it possible to maneuver this boat in and out of the marina with one engine ?
2) What is the process involved in replacing these motors ?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I see its a 78 ?( by your sig. line) so the engines are below the salon floor ? if so the go out thru the roof panel .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

the engines are in the rear in the AFT cabin, looks as if someone has had to get them out before as the rear seems to have been cut out and re patched at one point to get the engines out. Just saw this this week .
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

it is very possible to get your boat into your slip with help from your marina and dock buddys. i had the same issues year one. the marina put me in the water-tied their tender barge to one side and assisted me to the slip. a couple lengths of rope for people on the docks to pull it in and your all set. couldn t take my boat out that year but had a great year on the dock. i would only do it if your not planning on pulling the engines this year. good luck im on my way
to re-install my starboard engine with in the hour so i know what your going through. it ll all work out. you will be surprised how many marina folk are willing to help.
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Well I took the plunge today and started to remove the the top engine parts, my plan was to dis assemble and replace gaskets in the hopes it is a head gasket or something. I started by removing the exhaust manifold on the one side I loosened the 4 bolts and the thing basically fell right off, next i moved on to the carb, valve cover, intake manifold and the head . The head gasket on this side appears to be ok, looks like a aluminum material or something . The intake manifold gasket however didn`t look to great at all. Could this be the problem?
I then moved on to the other side I had the valve cover , exhaust manifold and head to remove . I started with the exhaust manifold snapped the head off the first bolt, second and thrid came out no problem snapped the head off the fourth one. I thought it would still come off but the thing will not even budge, now what ?
Were can I order gasket from ?