WEBASTO AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

MV-OLIVIA

WEBASTO AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM

Post by MV-OLIVIA »

I HAVE A 1978 TROJAN TRICABIN AND AM FINDING IT NECESSARY TO PURSCHASE A NEW AIR CONDITIONING UNIT FOR HER, BEFORE THE FLOIDA SUMMER IS UPON US.

MY QUERY IS CAN ANYONE SHED SOME INFORMATION ON THE Webasto FCF Air Conditioning Unit - Cool with Reverse Cycle Heat UNIT?

ANY AND ALL INFORMATION APPRECIATE!G
Last edited by MV-OLIVIA on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: WEBASTO AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM

Post by aaronbocknek »

hello and welcome to the forum. i'm not familiar with that system as mine has cruisair. does you current set up have a unit for the forward state room that cools the stateroom and the forward part of the salon while the second unit, buried in the salon steps, cools the aft cabin and the aft part of the salon. i also have two condensers in the bilge with one seawater pump.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I installed the 5000 btu Webasto FCF in my F26 in 2010. Still works great. One thing to mention on the model that I have is the fan always runs when the unit is on, the compressor/heat pump just kicks on and off when the desired temperature is reached. I know for some of the other brands or models, the whole system turns off (fan included) when the set temperature is reached on the thermostat and then turns back on when needed. I've heard that there's smarter thermostats out there that might work with my unit to make the fan turn off as well but I figured it wasn't worth the cost or effort. I'm just happy I can cool the boat some in the summer.

Here's a link to my install.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... 517#p28883
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

I've been looking at these.

A few folks have them here on the forums. Very nice price and good size. I cannot find any bad reviews on them.

http://www.marinaire.com/category_s/30.htm
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

you might also check mermaid they have a 5 year warranty on their units, i have purchased 2 different models on my boats and have been very pleased, just a thought
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

they look nice! I may get one for my fly, the calculator says I need 23000 btu's to cool my boat. Any one know if this is accurate? or should I go bigger or smaller? For those who do not know my boat it is a 36 ft tri cabin with a flybridge 14 ft beam
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I have a 1985 non-fly tri. It came from the factory with two 12K BTU reverse cycle air conditioners, so I would say the calculator got it right. In general, it is better to have an air conditioner that is too small than one that is too big. Much of the benefit of air conditioners is derived from dehumidification. An air conditioner that is too large will cool the cabin but not lower the humidity. An air conditioner that is smaller will have to run longer to achieve the same dry bulb temperature. That provides more opportunity to move more air past the condenser, where the dehumidification takes place. 24K vs. 23K BTU doesn't matter, but don't put in 30K BTU thinking that you're doing yourself a favor.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
JStadnik68

Post by JStadnik68 »

Those are very nice A/C units. Nice price point too, cheaper than the Dometics. As aweimer mentioned, hard to find some bad reviews on Webasto.

Came across this article today that actually selected Webasto as the best marine air conditioner brand out of all the different brands out there (was expecting Dometic) https://citimarinestore.com/citiguide/b ... for-boats/

I've been looking into the FCF myself recently. I have a Dometic ECD that's been having issues now for the last couple of years. Spoke with the local Webasto rep who said that the FCF classic is a good replacement for the ECDs, and the FCF platinum is a good replacement for their DTU units, which I hope helps if you're looking to swap out either of these units.

Good luck.
mgac716

Post by mgac716 »

I installed 2 webasto units in my 13 Meter Express.
Now 3 seasons of use and no issues.
I have a 16k btu in the salon and the 10k btu both are reverse cycle units.
In the great lakes they provide more than enough heating and cooling. I also have a pump relay installed so my water pump is not on constantly. I also got a remote control for each unit.
Very happy with the units. One thing, they give dimensions of the compressor part of the unit and not the entire unit with the blower, lucky , I had some wiggle room. Easy install
Very happy with the quality
1986 Trojan 13 Meter International Express
Twin J&T 6-71 450 HP Detroit Turbo Diesels 28X31 Props