genorator frustration- I am about ready to throw it in the

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gardnersf
Moderate User

Re: genorator frustration- I am about ready to throw it in t

Post by gardnersf »

Back to your issue,

1. On my Onan, there is a fuel filter\screen on the pump. May be clogged.
2. One year, I had to run the fuel pump for a couple of minutes to get fuel through the line. Took a long time to prime. I attached the fuel pump to 12 V with the outlet line off the generator until I saw fuel
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

My tanks are separate pick ups but there is a crossover between the engine fuel filters.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

gardnersf wrote:Back to your issue,

{snip} I had to run the fuel pump for a couple of minutes to get fuel through the line. Took a long time to prime......

+1, Paul and I can start a new PM thread to discuss my crazy fuel manifold. Thanks for reminding us to keep on topic. :)

++1, Its a long way from the tank(s) for sure. If its a priming issue, sometimes you can help prime it with a couple shots of starting fluid (ether), but I mean a couple shots; If it won't run on its own after that after what may even be a prolonged crank, fuel delivery isn't right. If it won't run on a shot of ether, its just not running. Depends on what pump you have if you still have the screen or not, since you replaced it yourself with a new one, you should know best on that. I put a can upstream of the pump for filtration and retrofitted an ignition protected Facet as per the service bulletin; though I didn't use the model that was indicated, I used one with the same specs. No matter what you find with the pump, don't go running it on ether just cuz it will run. Know that means its a fuel problem and troubleshoot it.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Well now, here I am, trying to get genny up and running, and we got this problem. My F28 draws its fuel from one side but from the manifold for fuel direction, so not via a separate line from tank. It appears to be Trojan installed genny and has ran since 1978 so I am going to assume it will work again the way it is, but will be ware of problem.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

I know this is rediculus but I thought I read something about a low oil-check oil and if it was ok to remove wire from low oil pressure switch and then push start switch.IF it starts and runs then check to see if the wire lead is grounded.----Same for high air temp switch-remove wire and push start switch.
thats all I remember for cranking and not starting.
sorry
dffg4240
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

dfg4240 wrote:I know this is rediculus but I thought I read something about a low oil-check oil and if it was ok to remove wire from low oil pressure switch and then push start switch.IF it starts and runs then check to see if the wire lead is grounded.----Same for high air temp switch-remove wire and push start switch.
thats all I remember for cranking and not starting.
sorry
dffg4240
Not ok to disable sensors if:

- You don't know if you have oil pressure or not.

- You don't know if its pumping water.

That thing will kick on a shot of ether if you have spark, compression, and your timing is close.......
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

thanks guys, I did get it to hit with a shot of ether. I will take the pump off and clean the filter and retrry. Before I do this I am going to crank while holding the pump, to see if I feel anything in the pump, ie that it is getting power.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

You can also jumper the wires to a 12 v source with the outlet into a bottle or jar to catch the gas.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

my factory gas MCCK genny was so badly rusted that any repairs resulted in snapped off bolts.

I replaced the whole #&*@$! contraption ten years ago with a 5 kW diesel gen set that was designed and certified to operate in a gas environment.

It will run 3 days on it's own 17 gallon tank.

It worked out well as I have not had any problems with it, no sneaky carbon monoxide dangers and it fires up every time.

three years later that decision helped push me into refitting my tired and worn Crusaders to diesel propulsion.

Ask anyone who has done it if they would ever go back........

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support