starting batterys

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kallen
Sporadic User

starting batterys

Post by kallen »

I have to replace my 15 year old starting batteries (31 series delco voyageur).What is recommended now a days. They are the starting , deep cycle battery. We are in canada so some of the batteries are not available here. Exide was suggested, delco was not. Price range should be around $150.00 each
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: starting batterys

Post by prowlersfish »

15 years old ? I would stay with delco .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

15 year old starting batteries
Holy Moley! I second Prowlerfish.

If you decide to shop around, you may find this useful:
http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycl ... 0Batteries

On their advice I started using group 29 deep cycle batteries, which I got from Walmart (group 27 starting wet cells came with the boat). They were around $99. I have had no issues starting my 270 Crusaders with them. I cannot yet attest to lifespan, as I am only six months (which included the off season) into the port side, and just replaced the starboard battery last weekend. I went with group 29 because that was the largest that would fit in my existing battery box. Since they are not optimized for cranking, I use the parallel switch just to reduce the current draw from each battery, but starting on one deep cycle battery is only a problem when someone shuts off the fuel valve by accident and tries to start the engine. Or so I've heard.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

I agree with the Delcos. In our first boat I installed Voyager and got 10 seasons. But when I went to replace I was told Voyager was no longer available. Too good I guess. Our current boat had Interstate batteries in it when we purchased and according to the date stamp on the label are now in their 8th year.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: starting batteries

Post by prowlersfish »

The type of Battery , should be determined by the type of use . If you do a lot anchoring out and use a lot of 12 volt power then a deep cycle is in order for the house battery . Engines should have cranking battery's . If the batteries are used for both then a dual purpose battery maybe in order. I am getting ready to replace a 4D battery myself . I am thinking about replacing it with two 31 series if they will fit in the battery box .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D