Port Engine Power Loss

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Port Engine Power Loss

Post by ready123 »

To understand this.... Do you run with blowers on all the time while underway?
I turn them off once up to cruise...
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
djmair

Post by djmair »

We are looking for something obscure as I don't believe the issue is with the gas, carbs or distributor. The message about the blowers is interesting as the timing for the problem is about 20 minutes out on the lake. My International has the house battery combination on the port side and I always run the blower prior to starting. I do shut it off when I am underway. I can noticeably see the current change on my meter when I use it. I don't suppose the changing of this is a major issue and will see about it hopefully this weekend. I must say that I am somewhat on the side of the old salts on this but stranger things have happened

Thanks for all the input. Got to get to a conclusion as she hits the hard soon.
Thanks for the info
stoutner

Post by stoutner »

Anti Siphon valves clogging up with gummed up gas. Probably have gummed up gas in your tank and it is breaking loose and clogging up that anti siphon valve. I have had that same exact problem that you are having all year and every time it is that valve clogging up with old gas residue. I clean it out and the problem goes away...for another 20 minutes until it clogs up again.
1990 Trojan 11 Meter International "Express".
Green Dolphin2
Sodus Point, NY
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

ready123 wrote:To understand this.... Do you run with blowers on all the time while underway?
I turn them off once up to cruise...
Didn't matter on or off. That was the stumper. I do shut them off on plane.
My thoughts are that being 35 years old they shorted out inside the motors somehow?
If that's not possible, maybe the lower amp draw of the new blowers masked some other condition?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

stoutner wrote:Anti Siphon valves clogging up with gummed up gas. Probably have gummed up gas in your tank and it is breaking loose and clogging up that anti siphon valve. I have had that same exact problem that you are having all year and every time it is that valve clogging up with old gas residue. I clean it out and the problem goes away...for another 20 minutes until it clogs up again.
+1
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

DJMAIR - Did the issue every get resolved before setting on the hard? Might be helpful for the rest of us to know solution if solved. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
djmair

Post by djmair »

The situation has yet to be resolved. Going out 1 more time this week before being put on land. Hopefully will be able to check out voltage.
Thanks for the info
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

I am far from a mechanic...but let me tell a little story. A friend of mine has a 34 Silverton...in the spring he changed his distributors out to electronic. Now he set the timing on the two engines the same...he thought they should be and he is actually a mechanic. So, not to the extent of your issue, but he had substantial power loss in one of the engines...turns out that the reverse rotation engine actually needed to be set the opposite way...not even sure what that means, but top dead center was forward on one and backward on the other. Probably means nothing, but thought I would mention it.

He found it by playing with the distributor as he sat at idle at the dock...

He also found a ground that was not the best, but with these two things now has full power again.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Cmount wrote:.....A friend of mine has a 34 Silverton...he is actually a mechanic....
A marine mechanic would know this or is he an auto mechanic? There are several differences that an auto mechanic would never run into in their trade. He'd really be scratching his head on an older Chris Craft with the prop shaft running off the front of the engine. Timing it off the cylinder you think is number 1 can be pretty puzzling for someone not familiar with that application! Love watching them try though!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

here is something to look at, check your charging system if the generator or voltage regulator is mal-functioning the engine will start to lose power after 20 minutes or so running only on battery power, and start to sputter for not having enough juice to drive the coil pack I have had this happen in a car, and you maybe miss this as when you get back to shore you plug into shore power which will automatically fire up the battery chargers, also check/replace any wire connected to the coil pack something could be worn and break connection once heated up had that issue on my madden voyage this summer ,try switching both the generator and voltage regulator over from the good engine and see what happens

Good luck and I hope this helps Paul
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

just popped into my head, here's an add-on to my previous post, get a good pair of booster cables and connect the two engines together, did this myself this summer when one of my generators failed, and go for a run and see what happens, or heres a quick one start the engine and pull the battery cable off the engine should keep running, and something to consider is after your 20 minute run and you deplete you batteries, you said the house batteries are run from the port engine, those deep cycle batteries will rebound after sitting for half an hour allowing you to start the engine again and supplying the fuel pump enuf power to run for a little while, you said you can see the power draw with the blowers on, is it negative amps? what you should see is the amps to the positive side showing a charge, anything negative is bad

let me know how you make out
Last edited by hanybop on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:
Cmount wrote:.....A friend of mine has a 34 Silverton...he is actually a mechanic....
A marine mechanic would know this or is he an auto mechanic? There are several differences that an auto mechanic would never run into in their trade. He'd really be scratching his head on an older Chris Craft with the prop shaft running off the front of the engine. Timing it off the cylinder you think is number 1 can be pretty puzzling for someone not familiar with that application! Love watching them try though!
X2
If I remember Chris Craft did that to reverse the direction of the prop ? You would find one engine pointing north the other south so to speak . Now Owens with their wonderful Flagship engines would have both normal and reverse Turning engines turned around running off the front of the engine .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D