Please review my electrical system diagram [F 27]

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LLCD

Please review my electrical system diagram [F 27]

Post by LLCD »

Hello all!

I've started to make this diagram to understand the electrical system of my boat. I have very little electrical experience so I wanted to make sure I do get this right :lol: . This is the proposed plan, in reality there are some things that I must change. (Currently I have my bilge pumps connected directly to the battery, I recently learned that I must connect them to the battery switch with the house battery, not the battery itself :oops: ) So please review my diagram to see if there is anything else i should modify/change. I also plan on buying an isolator so that I can charge both batteries while the engine is on. I still have to figure out how to set that up... :roll:

If you guys have any electrical diagrams that you have made before, please post them below!!

Thank you!

LEO. C
1986 F27 EXPRESS
LandVF36
Moderate User

Re: Please review my electrical system diagram [F 27]

Post by LandVF36 »

Leo, you can get a complete electrical diagram for your boat by writing to Don at Beacon Marine. He will need the VIN # from your boat. I ordered a set for my boat several years ago, and it has saved me countless hours trying to figure out how things were when my boat left the factory.

As for observations, you need to add your connection from the alternator to charge the batteries. You likely want some sort of isolation between the starting and house battery. You want to make sure your bilges ,and all circuits for that matter, are connected off the main DC panel and behind a fuse. You would not want to connect anything directly off the battery switch selector switch as if the circuit load became to high (stalled motor or short in this case) the wiring could catch on fire.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

...Why would you want the battery chargers to charge the batteries while an engine is running? That's the job of an alternator. And with out ac voltage away from the slip, it wouldn't do you any good anyway. Spend your energy elsewhere on your projects. :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Leo,
Here's the original wiring diagram for my F-26. it might give you an idea
Matt

summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Just taking a quick look I think you need to re-think your charging plan. You have the 110 V battery charger for you start battery and a solar charger for you house battery. I don't think that will be enough to keep up with the house bank. There are a large selection of chargers on the market today that can handle multiple banks of batteries. Also you should think about maybe a 20 amp charger, not 10, it's a little light for the load. Keep in mind to that the house and start batteries should be keep separate and only paralleled to provide more power to start the engine, not to provide more power to the house.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

It's best to separate out the negatives and positives at their source in a diagram even if they are in the same cable as I suspect is what's going on in your diagram with respect to the charger, otherwise it looks like they are both connected together which is a no no. Personally I have never liked the use of battery selector switches on boats. They leave too much room for error and are the number one cause for dead starting batteries when trying to leave an anchorage. Keep the house battery and starting battery banks completely isolated, and use only "ON, OFF" battery switches to turn the circuits off when not needed. An "Emergency Start" solenoid joining the two banks together through a momentary toggle switch at the helm can be used if the start battery ever fails to start the engine. Yes you can use a battery isolator to charge the two banks while under way and maintain bank isolation but there is a charging down side to these unless you spend some extra cash and buy a unit that makes up for the voltage drop inherent to the diodes. In your diagram, you show several wires going to the battery terminals, you should minimize the wiring going to the batteries and connect to common bus bars or the battery side of the switch instead, ie; positive charge wires can go to the battery side of the switch rather than the battery terminal. Regardless of the switch position, the battery will charge. Your bilge pumps should hook up to the DC distribution panel but if that is not practical, again the back of the switch or bus bar is okay as long as the circuit is fused.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

summer storm wrote:Just taking a quick look I think you need to re-think your charging plan. You have the 110 V battery charger for you start battery and a solar charger for you house battery. I don't think that will be enough to keep up with the house bank. There are a large selection of chargers on the market today that can handle multiple banks of batteries. Also you should think about maybe a 20 amp charger, not 10, it's a little light for the load. Keep in mind to that the house and start batteries should be keep separate and only paralleled to provide more power to start the engine, not to provide more power to the house.
Doug, he does have a two bank charger. Though I do agree that 10 amps is light, it really depends on the type of boating. Unless you require quicker charge/recovery times, ten amps is fine if you'll simply be tied up at your dock most of the time. At the dock, I'd be happy if it just put out 2 amps during the week if that's all it took to bring them back up by the weekend. I spend a lot of time on the hook so higher output is good for me as I want to charge as fast/much as I can when I run my generator for other stuff. One should also consider that cheaper chargers divide their max output evenly to each bank, so a cheaper 2 bank 10 amp charger would give you 5 amps max per bank whereas a more expensive charger will supply full output capability to just one bank if it needs to which is typically the case with the house bank.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year