Removing the lower helm from an f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rmatt

Re: Removing the lower helm from an f32

Post by rmatt »

1978 F32. My helm after the lower station was removed removed. Found a pic of the shelf installed on the port side.
Not good pics but you get the idea.
Bob
F32 Interior.jpg
F32 Interior.jpg (248.83 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

prowlersfish wrote:Very true it is a selling point .Every one wants a lower helm till they have one :wink:
Except for me, who would never by an F series without one, as I rarely get on the bridge unless its dark out or I have guests on board.

Part of that is due to the fact that I keep the covers on the bridge helm seats, the cover on the console snapped down, and the bridge cover snapped down on top of all of that. While its nice to have all the canvas and the protection that it offers, its truly a PITA to take it all on and off every time I go out. Occasionally during a warm and dry streak, I will leave it open for a week or two at a time, and usually during that time I will use the bridge a few times before I cover it all back up again.

Another thing I like about the lower station is that I single hand a lot. Its just easier for me to handle lines and whatnot by myself when there isn't a ladder in between me and what I need to get to.

I'm sure others have a different take on things.

One thing I would consider when removing a factory lower station is how that will be perceived by a potential future buyer when it comes time to sell. Most of us don't like to see too much "customizing" on a boat we are thinking about buying unless it was done by a reputable marine electrician/architect/designer, and the work is documented by such a professional.

I don't know if any of this applies to the OP, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Also food for thought for the rest of the current anf future F-32 owners which might stumble upon this discussion.

On a side note, as some of us get older, the lower station may become more and more desireable as potential mobility issues arise. Even the same holds true for some of us youngsters that do crazy stuff that might make a new knee or hip a possibility before 40.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

rmatt That looks nice .

CP , You must be falling apart :D . I have no proplem sigle handling from up top ( I keep my self in shape :roll: ) and the better half has no issue climing up with Her new knee . If she did we would have a express :|

And your not alone , some folks never use the fly . I have seen a few boats with the ladders removed and some with the brige removed .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

prowlersfish wrote:CP , You must be falling apart :D
I am. About 60,000 vertical and 1200 miles climbing this year.

I need a new friggin hobby. :wink:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I use both, rainy, chilly mornings going out fishing, or a cool night, or sometime I have a large crew for a booze cruise from the lower, sunny nice days, and nights from upper, I have a bimini but.never use it, I like the sun
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Hear is a lower helm removed on a F36
Attachments
F36 lower helm steerring removed.jpg
F36 lower helm steerring removed.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

Great picture. Thanks...I will take before and after pics and post. Hope to be done before April.

Thanks for all the input.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"