What color to paint your boat ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

What color to paint your boat ?

Post by prowlersfish »

Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: What color to paint your boat ?

Post by Stripermann2 »

If I pick out the colors, will you pay to have my boat painted? :mrgreen:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sure pick one , I will be glad to do it .
http://www.krylon.com/color-center/color-trends/relic/

BTW I got a quote on my hull . for Awlgrip or Alexseal . But I may do it my self depending on how yours comes out .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Our topsides are Brightside Bluglow White, the hull is Flag Blue.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="LandVF36"]Our topsides are Brightside Bluglow White, the hull is Flag Blue.[/quote]
That's my choice, with buff tan nonskid, how old is your paint and how's it holding up?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

alexander38 wrote:
LandVF36 wrote:Our topsides are Brightside Bluglow White, the hull is Flag Blue.
That's my choice, with buff tan nonskid, how old is your paint and how's it holding up?
My hull from the rub rail to the waterline was painted with white Brightside in 2002. Applied 2 coats using roll & tip method right over the gelcoat with a light scuff between coats. Aside from a few scratches, it looks as good now as it did then. For maintenance I buff it with Meguiars 50 every spring. As for repairing scratches, if you sand the scratch out, paint it then finish with a wet sand and polish, it hides very well.

Keep in mind that this is a seasonally used boat in fresh water. I'm not sure if salt will affect it differently.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

alexander38 wrote:
LandVF36 wrote:Our topsides are Brightside Bluglow White, the hull is Flag Blue.
Alexander38. Well, I've done two boats with Brightside. Its a good paint and its easy and forgiving to apply. As everyone will tell you its all in the prep work. The better you with the filling in the cracks and sanding out the filler/primer coats, the better the job will come out. In fact, plan on spending 90% of your time on the prep and the last 2-3 coats of Brightside top paint will be fast and easy. Do clean with the 202 wash after sanding. If you don't, you will have adhesion problems that wont show up for 1-2 seasons. It sort of scares the crap out of you when you put it down, because it reacts with the primer and bubbles! You basically put it down with a foam roller and its a little like spreading ink more than paint. Then, tip if off with a horse hair brush. If you have thinned it a little with the 333, you would swear it was sprayed on. For the decks, there is a non-skid additive that is essentially a bunch of microscopic rubber footballs that you can apply with a flour sifter while the paint is still wet.

The only disappointment I have with the Brightside paint is that it IS a single part polyurethane coating. So, more or less its no more than varnish with a solid pigment. Because of the "shapes" of the poly molecules, it locks down pretty hard as it drys. If you lay up 3-4 coats of top paint inside of a week it will take 3-4 weeks to fully cure hard and that is out in the sun with 70 degree plus days. Since its like varnish though, the sun will "burn" it off, just like it does the bright-work/teak. So, the flat surfaces of the top-sides will need a fresh coat every 2-3 years (my experience with two different boats that are wrapped up for 7 months a year).

From Interlux, the next step up in paint is a 2 part epoxy called Perfection. From what I have heard, its a pain in the but to apply and costs nearly 3X more. It will last a lot longer, but unless you have an indoor heated / humidity controlled shop, I've heard that its not a lot of fun to work with. Also, if anyone has ever painted over the original gel coat with a single part paint, and then you want to try a 2 part, I guess you can just forget it as it will never stick and getting 100% of the old paint sanded off is not going to happen, even with soda blasting.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

What I meant to say about the "bubbles" is that if you prep right, and the primer was sanded and wiped with 333, and you apply paint with the roller BEFORE the 333 drys like you are suppose to, you will get bubbles. Just as the bubbles begin to form, you wipe them off with the horse hair bristle brush and they are gone. About 5 seconds later, you can see the paint flash off and its as smooth as glass....
Mitch
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Thanks
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Painting your hull Paul?

I like Alexseal, but there are other comparable products.

Have you come to an opinion about color yet? I like that flag blue on landv's boat. Black might be ok, or a dark green.

Maybe you could get Jeff to help you paint it. From what I understand he is an expert painter. Don't forget to clear coat it! :roll:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If and thats a very big if.( Gel coat still in good shape ) . Hunter green using Awlgrip . I already have a Quote on having it done . If I do it myself then bright side would be my choice . I used it before and it turned out real nice did blue-white but redid the top side to Hatteras white ? shortly later if I remember correctly . Looked good 4 years later when I sold the boat .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels