F28 Generator location?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dreamweaver

F28 Generator location?

Post by Dreamweaver »

F28 with twin 351s,it looks like there is room for one to fit in aft of the engines but would this be to much weight aft? It would be 8 to 10 inches from the transom.

The triple fuel tanks are under the cabin floor ending just forward the cabin door bulkhead so fully loaded it would seem to have most weight stern,is this better?

This genset is the Onan 6.5 @ 450 lbs. Where were they located stock? My other thought was to move the batteries forward into the cabin under the seat in a sealed box from the cabin but vented into the exterior which would place the genset just aft of the cabin door and centered between the V Drives.

I bought a package deal of a gas and diesel powered gensets and my friend that owns a salvage yard hooked me up with a Cummings diesel but until another one falls into my lap which may be awhile I am going to stick with the gas setup.
Richard
1978 F28 Flybridge twin 351s.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F28 Generator location?

Post by prowlersfish »

Larry has a F28 with a genset , hopefully he will see this and be able tell where its at .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F28 Generator location?

Post by larryeddington »

Yep my f28 has a 6.5 genset, mounted right between the two 318s, tight but fits nicely. It shares a fuel supply from engine tanks and works well. I also have an Onan 8.0 diesel genset in my shop, both are about the same size. I was going to use the MKD but abandoned the boat I had and have a working boat on the water. Give me a shout if you want to talk f28 topics. My phone is 903-896-1610. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink