Help with buying a 1986 F-27 ***Purchased w/pics!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Help with buying a 1986 F-27 ***Purchased w/pics!

Post by zedtwentyate »

Hey Trojan Owners -

I am in the market for a new (old) boat. My wife's family has had a late 70's F32 for years and I am hell bent on keeping the Trojan tradition alive. I've looked at a few early F-25s and an F-26 and just stumbled on what I think will be my future boat. The price is right, I just need to make sure everything is sound on the boat before I proceed. I am having a hard time finding any info on a boat of that vintage and model. Everything i read calls the f26 a model 261. This one is a 1986 and the plate says 270-6028.

The power plant is a mercruiser 230 or 260 (can't remember).

Can anyone point me to more information or share anything about these? I was excited to find something newer after looking around for a while at the early 70's model. The owner said its been in his family the whole time and hasn't really needed much for work. He's replaced the rudder a few times and that's really it. He didn't travel very far with it but was unsure of the hours.

The boat is prices below 5k and that's why I am ready to move on it. I just want to make sure it's not a bigger money pit than I already know it's going to be. The wife's dad is going to check it out with me next week.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by zedtwentyate on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-26

Post by zedtwentyate »

After researching an F27, that's what I have found it to be. Sorry for the n00b mistake!
Kegan

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The F27 is very much like the F26 . Good luck and welcome to the Forums
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated
After you go check-out the boat, come back here and post your questions before you make an offer. Take and post plenty of pictures (see the how-to sticky) -- you will get plenty of free advice here. And hire a surveyor (hull at least, if not engine too). Your best boat maintenance dollar is that spent investigating a potential new boat, so as to prevent yourself from buying someone else's junk. Even "free" boats come at a price.

And welcome to the forum!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thank you for the advice P-Dogg.

What I am trying to figure out is whether or not I need a survey for a $4000 boat. Maybe that is naive of me to think that I may not, but this guy seems to be wanting to unload quickly. I did get him to slow down and get it in the water, so that should help. I already checked it out and took pictures, so I will get those uploaded. Have a few trojan guys going out to look at it with me later this week.

There's a part of me that doesnt want to miss out on this deal, so I want to act quick, but I also realize the problem with that mentality.

Thanks again
Kegan

MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

The F-26 was last produced in 1983 if my info is correct. It was re-introduced as the F-27 I think for two years back in the mid-80's It's pretty much the same as the F-26. Some problem areas that I would look for is a soft deck, especially where the anchor is mounted , as well as on the cabin top where the grab rails are mounted to the deck. (That's where most my problems came from) Another location you will want to check is the engine stringers to make sure they aren't soft. As for the survey, I won't purchase a boat without having one done. It's best to know what you're getting into. Plus I did need a survey for the insurance company due to the age of the boat.

Overall the F-26 has been a great boat and is pretty big for 26 feet. Good luck, and Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing how it goes.

Matt
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance agent now. I'm sure he will let me know if I neeeeeeed a survey. I am buying it cash, so insurance would be the only reason I actually need one.

I am still waiting on the marina's mechanic to get back to me. I wanted to talk to him about the boat, since it has been there since 1986. He should be able to offer a little insight into the condition.

Based on what he says and getting it into the water, I am hoping to purchase it by this weekend.
Kegan

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Just a thought, by not carrying insurance, other than huge liability policy for my f-28, ergo did not need survey. This boat was practically a gift, got it running last summer one engine went down. It now sits in water, with new engines, new water tanks etc etc. I will pick it up tomorrow and take to my dock. IMO the value I would be protecting is not worth the cost of loss insurance therefore only heavy liability which was cheap, so my decision to take the risk.

My boat had been surveyed by previous owner and the surveyor missed virtually all issues with a clean bill of health, he did condemned a propeller as bent and it was not. A survey is just an opinion based on a stated "expert", if you get one I would check his credentials, if any. again IMO
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you use a Surveyor make sure the are SAMS or NAMS or both . if there not they are worthless to most insurance companies
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well my new friends, I am offiallyish a new Trojan F-27 owner.

I went on a little sea trial today and was able to negotiate a deal with the owner. Everything was great with the boat. Solid stringers, engine purred like a kitten, condition was as described and MOST of the electrical worked just fine.

Only problem at this point, is a need for some TLC and some minor repairs to the deck seals (horn leaks and a few other spots where something is mounted).

The other issue was that the gentlemen signed over a non-transferrable registration in NYS. After digging through a stack of historical records, including a couple days of a ship log and every single repair on the boat, I found the official USCG documentation information.

From the sounds of it, I will need him to have it removed from the USCG so that I can register the boat.

Here' are a few pics for your enjoyment. They aren't that great.

Things to throw money at:
1. Interior reupholster
2. Canvas needs to be cleaned and sealed and sides need to be replaced
3. Minor electrical work (the fun part for me)

And just for fun...

Kegan

akwalker
Sporadic User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-26 ***Purchased w/pics!

Post by akwalker »

Is that the boat that was stored at Snug Harbor? "Ros-A-Lee, right? Where are you going to keep her docked? We are in Oneida Lake marina, just south of you. I have an '81 F-26. If you need any help with anything, let me know. See you on the lake, and congratulations.
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

zedtwentyate wrote:Well my new friends, I am offiallyish a new Trojan F-27 owner.
The other issue was that the gentlemen signed over a non-transferrable registration in NYS. After digging through a stack of historical records, including a couple days of a ship log and every single repair on the boat, I found the official USCG documentation information.

From the sounds of it, I will need him to have it removed from the USCG so that I can register the boat.

]

Congrats . its a nice looking boat . On the registration is it currently documented with the U.S.C.G. ? I don't see Numbers on the bow so I assume it is . Why not keep it documented ? All he needs to do is sign the Documentation paper . If its not documented then you need a title signed not a registration . Some states may want you to register it even if its documented ( not sure about NY )

But one thing for sure you need the documentation signed over or the title . If it is documented and you get it signed over to you you can title it with the state then remove it from document ion your self ( one form )
Your can also call the documentation office to make sure there is no liens on the boat .

"the gentlemen signed over a non-transferrable registration" I don't believe that is a legal transfer , so you may not own it yet .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

prowlersfish wrote:
zedtwentyate wrote:Well my new friends, I am offiallyish a new Trojan F-27 owner.

]

Congrats . its a nice looking boat . On the registration is it currently documented with the U.S.C.G. ? I don't see Numbers on the bow so I assume it is . Why not keep it documented ? All he needs to do is sign the Documentation paper . If its not documented then you need a title signed not a registration . Some states may want you to register it even if its documented ( not sure about NY )

But one thing for sure you need the documentation signed over or the title . If it is documented and you get it signed over to you you can title it with the state then remove it from document ion your self ( one form )
Your can also call the documentation office to make sure there is no liens on the boat .

"the gentlemen signed over a non-transferrable registration" I don't believe that is a legal transfer , so you may not own it yet .

It is documented with the USCG. I am a newbie, so I didn't catch all the details in the transaction. These are good people, so I am sure we can sort it our rather quickly. The problem I am seeing is the official documentation expired on March 31, 2013. So, if he doesn't have a renewed USCG document, then he will either have to renew in order to transfer it, or have it deleted from documentation. I will also need him to complete the bill of sale from the USCG site. Since getting home at midnight last night from the marina, I have learned a lot :).

Also, that's why i said "officiallyish". Haha.

This is the Rosalee. It was at Mariners in Sylvan beach. She needs a little work. I have stacks of paperwork that show that it was well taken care of for a very long time, but the past few years have been rough on her. I bought it from the original owners grandson. Really nice guy.
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-26 ***Purchased w/pics!

Post by zedtwentyate »

akwalker wrote:Is that the boat that was stored at Snug Harbor? "Ros-A-Lee, right? Where are you going to keep her docked? We are in Oneida Lake marina, just south of you. I have an '81 F-26. If you need any help with anything, let me know. See you on the lake, and congratulations.

She'll be docked on Chittenango Creek in Bridgeport,NY. My wife's grandmother has a house there and is missing her daughters F32 that was docked there for the last 15 years.

Thank you for the offer of help! I am sure that I will need it. It's sitting on the wall at Sylvan right now because Mariners didnt have a slip and I cant bring it back until sunday. If you're in the area today, just chase away an pirates pillaging her for her spoils (old am/fm radio, empty beer cans and a destroyed canvas).

I look forward to meeting you!
Kegan

akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

zedtwentyate wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:

]

It is documented with the USCG. I am a newbie, so I didn't catch all the details in the transaction. These are good people, so I am sure we can sort it our rather quickly. The problem I am seeing is the official documentation expired on March 31, 2013. So, if he doesn't have a renewed USCG document, then he will either have to renew in order to transfer it, or have it deleted from documentation. I will also need him to complete the bill of sale from the USCG site. Since getting home at midnight last night from the marina, I have learned a lot :).

Also, that's why i said "officiallyish". Haha.

This is the Rosalee. It was at Mariners in Sylvan beach. She needs a little work. I have stacks of paperwork that show that it was well taken care of for a very long time, but the past few years have been rough on her. I bought it from the original owners grandson. Really nice guy.
Interesting about the registration. I thought the boat had a NYS reg sticker on it, as seen in one of the CL ad pictures. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out quickly. Where are you going to be docked?
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"