Wet exhaust system

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Sanctuary 2
Sporadic User

Wet exhaust system

Post by Sanctuary 2 »

Engine up an running after swapping out plugs and putting on a new edlebrock 1409.

New question: my port side wet exhaust is flowing fine. The port is flowing just not as well but does flow. Ran engine for 20 min. Did not overheat. The stbd manifold felt a little warmer than the port. When I bring up the rpm the stbd seem to cool down some.

Any feedback would be much appreciate....

Thanks

Jim
We tie up to fill our batteries and check our fuel.

http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t421/Sanctuary21/
TC
Sporadic User

Re: Wet exhaust system

Post by TC »

The last time I had an imbalance in exhaust water flow I found the one water pump impeller paddles were missing or cracked. Changed both at that time.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

TC wrote:The last time I had an imbalance in exhaust water flow I found the one water pump impeller paddles were missing or cracked. Changed both at that time.
TC. I hope you retrieved the impeller pieces, otherwise they are likely logged in your oil cooler heat exchanger and will cause your tranny to run hot. Pull the hose off on both ends of the heat exchanger and back flush the unit.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Perhaps a silly question but is your boat on the hard or in the water? if its on the hard, you likely are just not getting enough water flow. I can idle an engine while the boat is blocked up but if I go over 1100 RPM, it heats up un-evenly like you are stating.

+1 on finding the chunk of lost rubber. It WILL end up blocking an oil cooler.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Sanctuary 2
Sporadic User

Post by Sanctuary 2 »

Ran engine today. Everything good except the stbd exhaust tip was very warm to the touch. The port was very cool. The exhaust manifolds were hot but felt to be the same temp.

Should I run it up and down the river to see if it will clear on its own?
We tie up to fill our batteries and check our fuel.

http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t421/Sanctuary21/
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Oh yes, found them. Most were cracked and applying no tension. Only two knobs broken off. The other impeller none broken, just cracked. You are right, you don't want those guys finding inside.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay