USB Charger

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vickyb

USB Charger

Post by vickyb »

Does anyone know how to wire one of these into the panel of an 87 Trojan express cruiser?

Thanks
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
g36
Moderate User

Re: USB Charger

Post by g36 »

if this set up for 12v like the blue sea ones are then find a place you want to install it and drill a hole find a 12vdc source close by and connect the 2 dc wires properly and install in the hole
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
vickyb

Post by vickyb »

Being new to boats, how would I detect the 12V DV source? Any colour coding of wires that is typical in the panel of an 87 Trojan? Here is the picture of my panel

Thanks

87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

This is not intended to be an insult but if you are asking that sort of question you really should be getting the assistance of an expert. Dabbling in electrical issues when you are unsure can spell some nasty results.
Having said that and you are still determined to continue you have to first decide whether you want that outlet live all the time or on a switchable circuit. If live, then you will proabably have to run a dedicated circuit from a source to the dash. If you are happy to use a switched source, meaning the device can only be used when the dash is live, you'll need to check the buss bar for a live positive and then find the ground circuit.
My advice............get help.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

BTW, if you want USB on shorepower.... they sell an 110v outlet where the bottom plug is two USB outlets. It's a regular GFI size outlet you just lose the bottom outlet.
I added one in the mid cabin in place of the factory spkr volume switch above the stereo.
1988 10m mid cabin
vickyb

Post by vickyb »

Thanks TC. I do agree with you that an electrical messup can have nasty results. Also do appreciate the information you provided. Very helpful. I will have a look behind the panel and unless I am 200% sure that I know what I am doing, I will not go ahead with it.

Thanks again
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
vickyb

Post by vickyb »

Thanks BobCT. That is a good idea. I will look for one of those. The USB in the panel was to power my iPad which has my charts loaded on it. That would help when I am underway
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

They sell them at Home Depot. I might install a couple at the house too.
1988 10m mid cabin