Fuel Tank Senders again

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oldtimer

Fuel Tank Senders again

Post by oldtimer »

Hi Guys.

I guess many of you have seen my previous posting asking about fuel tank senders. Well I finally bit the bullet and in stalled two new senders in my 74 Tri Cabin. I ordered Moeller senders along with new gauges from West. I had previously prepared the floor over each tank by cutting out a 16" square hatch over each tank. I was pretty nervous about the whole deal, and shut down all power, 110 v & the 12 v too. Opened up every window, door, & hatch for ventilation. I used a self contained fluorescent light & hand tools. The old senders were originally installed with Phillips head screws which I thought would be hard to remove, but, they came out surprisingly easy. It was just a matter of lifting out the old senders, and I then cleaned the old sealant off the tanks with a plastic scraper and used a brass wire brush to really make a clean surface. The Moeller senders went in and were a perfect fit matching up to the original tank screw holes. Moeller supplied stainless hex hd screws along with a fairly thick rubber gasket. The screws even had their own sealant under the heads, and when sealant starts to come out from under the head while tightening, you are done. Installed new gauges into dash, didnt use the old original wire but ran new wires to each gauge. Turned on keys and had working fuel gauges for first time. Now one of the main reasons for this post is that I would like to pass on that my fuel tank senders were not the 33 - 240 ohm type, but had stamped into the side 90 ohms. I dont know if these senders were Trojan originals, or had some previous owner replaced the originals ? Just thought I would pass on that my Ohm meter just gave me a reading of 80/90 ohms, which I thought was approx 1/2 a tank if they had of been the correct senders. What the heck, I guess I just kind of bumbled my way through it all. And that's one more job put to bed now. Take care guys.

Oldtimer
Attachments
DSCF1050.JPG
DSCF1050.JPG (214.3 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
1974 Trojan Tri Cabin
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Fuel Tank Senders again

Post by The Dog House »

The original Trojan senders/gauges were 0 - 90 Ohm. If your gauge was 33 - 240 Ohm (American Standard), then a past owner replaced the gauge without replacing the sender.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
oldtimer

Re: Fuel Tank Senders again

Post by oldtimer »

Hi Dog House, my senders that I removed were the original 0 - 90 ohms that Trojan apparently installed. I did not know this when I was trying to do an ohms test, and just presumed that all tank senders were the 33 - 240 ohm type. You are the first guy that's told me the 90 ohm ones were standard. :o Never even knew they used this type. Thanks for the info from you, and all of the rest of the guys who gave me advice over the past months.
1974 Trojan Tri Cabin