Detroit 671TI on a Trojan 40' Motor Yatch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter Rodriguez

Detroit 671TI on a Trojan 40' Motor Yatch

Post by Peter Rodriguez »

I have a Trojan Motor Yatch 40' with 2 Detroit 671 TI and they are not reaching more than 1500RPM. The hull is very clean and the propellers too. And are smoking black at 1500RPM. Every filter have being changed. I have 24 X 24 three blades propellers. Could the propellers be the problem? Are they too big or should I clean and check all the injectors first.
Peter
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Re: Detroit 671TI on a Trojan 40' Motor Yatch

Post by DOUGNASH »

Not getting full RPM and black smoke means diesel is not being burned and not enough air I believe.

I had this problem with one of my engines

I took off the cover to the aftercooler and found all this crap on the fins blocking air

I took my wet vac and just got all that out of their and back to normal

Mine wouldn't go past 1700rpm when clogged and mucho blacko smoko

Here is what I found

1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
Peter Rodriguez

Thanks!! I will take a look into mines and will let you know what I found.

Peter
Peter Rodriguez

What prop size do you have on your boat?
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

I have 4 blades
28 x 29
philm216

Post by philm216 »

I have a 12 meter with Detroits. 4 blade 24 x 25. Doubt it's props to overload to only that rpm. How many hours on the engines? Agree, lack of air or worn cylinders. Both engines perform the same?

1990 12 Meter Trojan International
Peter Rodriguez

Thanks you for your reply. Both engines are doing almost the same the port side is worst. But I am going to open and clean the TI. The engines have 2000 hours I do not think the are worn yet. I think is lack of air.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

Open up the hatch(s) to the engine room and see if it gets better. I had a 46' with twin detroits that did not have adequate ventilation built into the boat. Had to add some air intakes.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Peter Rodriguez wrote:Thanks you for your reply. Both engines are doing almost the same the port side is worst. But I am going to open and clean the TI. The engines have 2000 hours I do not think the are worn yet. I think is lack of air.

Peter , what is the HP of your 671s ? and what Trojan model exactly do you have ? F40 ? 12 meter ? and what year ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

comodave wrote:Open up the hatch(s) to the engine room and see if it gets better. I had a 46' with twin detroits that did not have adequate ventilation built into the boat. Had to add some air intakes.
Funny you mention that

My boat didn't come with the standard air intakes typically seen on the sides of the hull with the fins facing forward or just open air intakes of any kind

This shot shows the side a bit and no vents besides where the engine room fans vents air out (the picture was taken a few hours before Hurricane Sandy hit, hence all the lines and electrical tape on the fuel tank vent)

But then I realized maybe the engines are pulling air somehow from the lower cockpit
In this picture shows the beginning of the engine mufflers in the top left and right hand corners, right next to them notice those rectangular openings, they had standard plastic vents in them (12 x 18 I believe) I bought new ones to replace from home depot
Maybe the engines draw fresh air through these vents which comes from all the openings around the perimeter inside the lower cockpit? :?: