F 31 Fuel Tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CrunchyBacon

F 31 Fuel Tanks

Post by CrunchyBacon »

Has anyone replaced there fuel tanks on a f31? If so who did you use? What was the cost? I want to put custom tanks in that are not cylindrical and utilize space more efficiently. Maybe someone still has the drawings or a company that already has them. My hope is to get more fuel capacity in the end. 250 -300 gallons would be sweet. Thanks
1973 Trojan F-31 (An Appointment)
Statesboro, GA 30459
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: F 31 Fuel Tanks

Post by gitchisum »

Crunchy,

I have been following a few of your posts, and please take this in the spirit of caring about your well being. I encourage you to seek some counsel on turning your F31 into an offshore canyon runner! adding additional fuel, is adding additional weight and you need to consider balance and the seakeeping affects it has. Plus the icemaker, etc and you may exceed the design limits of that this boat is intended to safely do.

I learned that lesson on the great lakes, and luckily am here to talk about it( swamped a 19 footer out on Lake Superior in May 23 years ago). We were overloaded, and the boat was too sluggish to handle the sea conditions that came up.

If you want to run offshore and fish Tuna, this may not be the best platform to do that.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

I was gonna post yesterday but I decided to hold back. I'm calmer today. I wanna start by saying that I wasn't the one who took a 19ft on a great lake. Even being from the south I have heard so many horror stories of boats and ships claimed by the great lakes. That would be the equivalent of me trying to get to Hells Gate by Savannah with my 16ft skiff. It just doesn't compute.

I also wanna state that I know of at least 5 charter boats in the Savannah area that are between 25-35 feet and regularly go 3-5 hrs offshore. I'm not sure if your version of offshore is the same as mine but I'm thinking not. I'm not talking about an Atlantic voyage. At most 200 ft deep. I do however have common sense and have turned around many times at the mouth of the river.

I appreciate your soft gentle words of advice. I would not consider adding a substantial amount of weight if I didn't think I was gonna be removing that weight from other unneeded amenities on the boat. (ie. Kitchen, bathroom, freshwater tank, etc etc. As it it right now I don't have the space to store a 90" plus fish. So there is alot I'm contemplating right now as far as making it more fish efficient. Of course funds will be the determining factor in all of my dreaming and scheming.

So if you don't mind I'd like to continue to dream freely without any nightmares!!!
Statesboro, GA 30459
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I think the one thing I've learned from being on this forum is that I don't always find the answer that I wanted to hear. Everything on this forum is opinion, but those opinions are usually pretty solid advice. Every once-in-awhile you'll get snarky comments, but I've found most of the people here love Trojans and want to give good advice, whether we want to hear it or not.

Take everyone's suggestions, process it, and go make intelligent choices.

Nice boat by the way. I love the classic look.
Last edited by todd brinkerhoff on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

Yeh I apologize. I may have been a little upset still. Anyway I do have some common sense and weather and conditions will more than likely determine how comfortable I feel and how far out I can go. I did manage to find two plastic 126 gallon tanks that I can mount below deck. It would be increasing the capacity 130 gallons or 780lbs. Usually it's just me an 1 other person so I don't think that's too much to worry about right now.

P.s. It's also very hard to tell how polite or nice someone is trying to be from typed words. Again I apologize and thank you guys. 8)
Statesboro, GA 30459
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

CrunchyBacon , No one is trying to kill your dreams or get you mad . But just offering what we feel is good advice from experience . I will give you my take ,not sugar coated LOL

You want to ad fuel capacity so I ( and others) assume you want to run 25 miles + offshore maybe 50 or more from the inlet . On a good day no problem , But the weather can turn quickly in the Atlantic , so while you maybe 2 hours out of the inlet/river at 20 knots that could turn into 8 hours at 5 knot returning in bad seas .

I had said its not really a offshore boat. Why did I say that ? its not because it going to fall apart or anything . It has more to do with the design of the boat . Look at you smaller off shore boats in your area . What are they ? I would think they are deep V hulls not a modified V like your boat (and mine) Makes a big difference when it gets bag out there . A deep V cuts the waves , and a flatter modified V pounds and gets uncomfortable . I have been there. Bigger its not always better

I have a F36 conv/sportfish with diesels , the boat should weigh twice what yours weights . Its NOT a offshore boat . Sure I can and have been offshore ,BUT I really have to pick my days , watch the radar for storms etc . If I did off shore often I would have a Albemarle or Bertram 28-35 or some other deep V .

FWIW I have many years and hours off shore on the east coast and have been responsible for a few charter boats
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

CrunchyBacon , Was writing my post above While you posted . I will add 1 thing , We all look out for or Trojan Brothers :D

you have nothing to apologize for .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

Thank you guys. It's just the last thing I wanna worry about when I go 3 hrs out is will I have enough fuel to get back in. What if I wanted to troll while I was out there. I'm just trying to plan ahead and not have fuel worries. I had a 16 foot ski/fish boat that I had to always refuel in the middle of fishing. It's a pain in the @$#. I was unaware until now as to why my boat was being judged as not a good offshore boat. I definitely see what your saying about the deep v and modified now. I'll have to pick my days carefully and install a good radar.
Statesboro, GA 30459
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dreams are great (45 Viking ) but you got to keep it real (my bank account ) LOl , I think you get what we are saying now . BTW don't get rid of the head you'll need it for long trips
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

It is a nice boat! I don't see a lot of F31's. I had a 71 & it made me a Trojan man 8)