36' Tricabin Aft head

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oldtimer

36' Tricabin Aft head

Post by oldtimer »

http://s759.photobucket.com/user/captke ... sort=3&o=0

Hi Guys,

I have a 36' 1974 Tri Cabin, & have been busy the past year doing lots of upgrades. We have had our boat a full season now, and during that time, I have always been curious as to what the reason is for the placement of the mirror over the sink in the aft head. Why was it placed like this, just for viewing ? looks like it sits on about a 30 deg angle. I first thought that there was a blower in the space behind it ? I have never had the time so far to remove it and look in behind. If its dead space, it would work well with the mirror on a piano hinge to fold down and use it for storage. I have been able to access almost all the nooks and crannies on our boat, but not this area. Possibly a lot of you Tri Cabin owners out there know about this.

Thanks
1974 Trojan Tri Cabin
blair

Re: 36' Tricabin Aft head

Post by blair »

I pondered this same question this past summer, on our '79 tricabin. All I could surmise was that the angle, combined with the oddly heavy weight, combine to keep the mirror closed and contents in place while under way. The angle also contributes to make me more handsome and much taller than in real life :D
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

If it were perpendicular to the counter top, you would be looking at your crotch.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

bjanakos wrote:If it were perpendicular to the counter top, you would be looking at your crotch.
LOL, I spit my coffee :(
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Hi blair, interested to read your reply. My 36 is a 1974, and the mirror does not open. It seems to be fastened to a teak plywood panel underneath the glass (pretty hefty pc of glass mirror too) by four mirror clips. Right now its just a dead area, & seems to me that it would be a pretty good storage area in behind it if I opened it up.

Oldtimer
1974 Trojan Tri Cabin
blair

Post by blair »

Yes, I suppose during the era they were made, that was the thing to do, with the design they had in mind. I see your version has the cubby holes to the right...we don't have that...just one long slab of mirror that tilts/lifts up, for access. We're looking at a modernization project in the near future that will include the accessories in the washrooms. I'm pretty happy with how the vacuflush works but want to make the surroundings more up to date. And yes, that mirror is one of the heaviest pieces of glass per sq. foot that I have ever seen!
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

My '79 has the slanted mirror which swings upward to reveal a sizable storage space underneath for all of the standard toiletries. The mirror is in two pieces instead of one.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. Now I have one more project to work on come the springtime, getting more storage in the aft head. (I bet the first mate has it all figured out already whats going in there too) Thanks again guys, I always try and check out the forum a couple times a week.Always good ideas and fixes to be found on here.

Oldtimer
1974 Trojan Tri Cabin