Teak finish

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Teak finish

Post by larryeddington »

Okay guys, I now have my bow pulpit in the shop to sand and refinish. It was very difficult getting it off as it was 5200 rd on in places. When I put it on I do not plan on ever removing it again. What is the best finish to use on it? I am thinking Cetol but maybe there is better. If needed will in future recoat in situ rather than remove.

I needed to remove to put an anchor guide roller in the pulpit. Now I have to glass in the spots the 5200 pulled from gel coat. Should I use 4000 or 4200 upon reinstall rather than 5200. Fortunately area damaged does not show.
Last edited by larryeddington on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Teak finish

Post by bjanakos »

Cetol should be just fine. 5 good coats and you are good to go. Maybe a scuff and 1 coat every year or so depending on your environmental conditions. I have also had good luck with Minwax Helmsman for a more cost effective solution.

I have not had any personal experience with Trojan Pulpits, but if I were bedding anything that I may need to remove at some time, and its above the water line, I would use Butyl, but 4200 or 4000 should also do just fine.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738

The pulpit is 3 coats Cetol Light, with a couple of coats of Cetol Gloss over top. Original work was done perhaps 6-8 years ago. I think I have touched it up (light sanding and a coat or 2 more gloss) no more than twice since then. Your mileage may vary... I am fresh water and a little more north...
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Thank guys, I am in fresh water sort of, lake texoma is 15 ppm salt. In covered dock but pulpit will get some sun. It is Cetol then.

Larry
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

I am also a Cetol fan for many years. One very important step before applying your first coat is a wipe down with acetone. Teak has natural oil within. This wipe down removes some of this oil from the top fibers allowing the Cetol to bond with the teak. Always apply Cetol without reducing. Cetol gloss can ONLY be applied over Cetol and becomes your sacrificial coating that can be scuffed with 220 and recoated annually, depending on your location. With UV protection, Cetol is arguably the best way to deal with exterior teak and attracts the most compliments. 8)
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

personally, i'm not a fan of covering the teak. i like the weathered look from time to time, and for me, its easy to clean back to the nice tan colour. when i stripped my swim platform three years ago, i sanded it down to new wood, then coated it with 4 coats of basic acitone. yep, acitone. a guy at eastern yachts told me about this trick. the acitone absorbs into the wood and when it evaporates, it pulls the woods oils from the inside out, leaving it with a nice natural and non slip finish. it stayed that way for the season and through the winter. just my thoughts.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

thanks aaron, I have mine sanded now and will alter for anchor roller, like a bow pulpit is meant to have in my opinion. I will treat with acetone per above suggestion. I really don't care for the gray look so I guess it will be cetol for me. Later on I will remove the swim platform which is painted, probably to reduce its slipperiness. For sure I respect you opinion. :)
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

you will really be amazed at the look once you treat with the acetone. i cannot wait to get my swim platform back in shape.
show some pics too.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Debating on taking the swim platform off to refinish, which means someone has to get under it. But may do it on the boat. Do you finish the bottom too, obviously for purposes of preservation or not, no one can see it.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I did the bottom of mine but didn't have to do it as often as the top as it wasn't exposed to direct sunlight/UV all the time. Best to seal it all around IMO
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year