Windshield Grounding 10 Meter Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhalb
Moderate User

Windshield Grounding 10 Meter Express

Post by jhalb »

My bow mast light stopped working and I think i have traced it down to a bad windshield ground. My meter shows 12.6 volts at the light but when I hook it back up nothing. my test light wont even light up. I ended up running a jumper from the light to a good ground and it works. I tightened and ruffed up the windshield ground at the ground buss but no change. Does anyone know where the ground wire connects to the windshield? Also why do I get a 12.6 volt reading at the light using the windshield as a ground but no light. Will a bad or dirty connection still show voltage on my meter?
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: Windshield Grounding 10 Meter Express

Post by mikeandanne »

Cant answer where the ground is but yes you can get readings on your meter.....if the ground side only had one or two strands of wire left you would get readings but that would not carry a load hence the light works when you provide the alternate good ground only....gonna have to hunt unless someone knows...check your bulb fixture, I had something the same with salon lights and changed out all the light fixtures and problem solved...Mike
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Years ago I ran a 10 gauge wire from the windshield frame to the main ground.

Solved a myriad of issues.

Highly recommended.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

On my tricabin, the windshield is grounded to one of the (hidden) mounting bolts. You might try looking at your wiring diagram, then following the wire from the bus to the windshield.

As for the voltmeter, it is quite possible to measure voltage but have no (detectable by a non-lab-grade meter) current flow to operate the light. Our friend Georg Ohm discovered the relationship E = I x R. For a given E (your 12.6V), I and R are inversely proportion. Your available I is too small to power the light, because the circuit's R is too large. When you find said ground connection, you will likely find that it is corroded. Once you clean the surfaces (use a brass brush or scotchbrite pad), a coat of a corrosion inhibitor like http://www.supplyhouse.com/Ideal-30-026 ... 7AodL0wAoA would be in order. Available at the home box stores in the electrical department.

Best of luck chasing this gremlin. Please report back when you find the culprit.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That's why 9 times out of 10 I prefer a test light .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

I did a temporary fix. I took the lead from my port windshield wiper motor and used as a ground to my windshield. Then I unplugged from the wiper switch and hooked it up to the ground buss in my dash board. This will work until I can remove my deck furniture and run a heavier ground. The lead is 14 gauge and sense I don't use my wipers I think it will be OK. The original windshield ground goes down into the engine compartment and from there I don't know.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

I had the same issue with my 10 Meter... Lost the mast light and the wipers!

The ground wire and stem are probably corroded... You get to the nut side of the stem in the cabin in the access panel on the ceiling of the cabin at the bottom of the steps. The Top side is probably what's causing your issue.. If you go up top and open the centre vent on the windshield, and remove the weather strip cover, or most likely silicone, you'll see the top of the bolt. Pull it out, clean them up and you should be back in business
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Thanks, I'll look next weekend. Thanks for everybody's help.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

gdcardoza wrote:I had the same issue with my 10 Meter... Lost the mast light and the wipers!

The ground wire and stem are probably corroded... You get to the nut side of the stem in the cabin in the access panel on the ceiling of the cabin at the bottom of the steps. The Top side is probably what's causing your issue.. If you go up top and open the centre vent on the windshield, and remove the weather strip cover, or most likely silicone, you'll see the top of the bolt. Pull it out, clean them up and you should be back in business
Found the ground. Just where you said it would be. Now I just need to hook up the port wiper and I'm good to go.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express