Trojan 10 Meter International Express Resurrection Post Fire

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

brandonwbn

Trojan 10 Meter International Express Resurrection Post Fire

Post by brandonwbn »

Lets begin with a little background.

There was a post back around Christmas about a Trojan for auction that had fire damage. Without seeing that post, since I was not a member of the site then, I found the auction listing while browsing EBay. I immediately decided to by the boat. It helped that it was only a few hours away, so transport wasn't going to be too bad. I figured the worst and hoped for the best the boat had 2 good motors and a genny, which I figured if the boat was "that bad" I could pull the motors and genny and sell them to recoup my cash since I did buy it sight unseen.

On New Years Eve, a week after the auction ended and I received the release from the company that represented the Insurance company of the previous owner I took the drive down to the marina where the boat was stored. Basically a boat 2 over was getting shrinked and it caught fire, it jumped to the boat next the Trojan and the Fire Department got there in time to put the 2 out and basically save the Trojan.

Here's a news report I found on the ordeal. http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/oct ... es-harbor/

The Trojan sustained heat damage only, the damaged was contained to the port side face of the arch and below the port side windshield, all above the rubrail. The gelcoat and some fiberglass began to peel, and some discoloration from smoke and heat occurred to the lower part of the of the hull, none of which affected the structural integrity of the boat.

So when I arrived I was surprised, the boat was extremely well cared for, the previous owner took great care of it. Sure the upholstery was dated but would replace it no matter what. The engines have only a few hundred hours each and the genny has less than 250 hrs. The cabin, although dated, was in good condition as well. From the moment I saw it in person I decided this is a keeper and I immediately sold my other boat.

For my other boat which needed some love, a 40 Regal that was neglected, I had bought a bunch of new equipment I had yet to install on it and decided to use it for the Trojan.
The updated equipment will include a new 18HD Garmin Radar Dome, newer Garmin 17" Nav screen, new sounder, new antennas, new ship to shore, Garmin Satellite Doppler weather receiver and XM Radio receiver, new windlass, new Danforth anchor etc...

As for the heat damage, after 2 weeks of searching for a reasonable shop to repair the issues I found a guy who for a reasonable amount of money would repair the problem areas properly, Paint the hull rub rail down and deep navy (if you look at the transom photo where the name is visible you can see at the corner the difference between the old blue the was on the back of the hull and the new blue the whole hull is covered finished in), add a red vinyl stripe at the water line, refresh the topside with a couple coats of white and refresh the cockpit the same. He is almost complete, and all I can say is wow! The shop he has is cramped do to the size of the boat so a complete photo of the boat is impossible but below is a link to the before and after progress.

http://imgur.com/a/vrtTF

Last week my new upholstery for the cockpit seating arrived, white pleated vinyl 1.5" pleats. The Cabin fabric arrived, a camel colored grained leather for all the cushions inside. Lastly Deep navy sunbrella for a new Bimini. The counter tops will all be done in granite (I'm not concerned about weight) I haven't decided on cabin flooring but the cockpit/rear deck will have a product called Better Than Teak, by Infinity Products. I received samples of it from them and its great.

One question what's the best way to refinish the cabin walls since they have the suede/vinyl covering on them?
Last edited by brandonwbn on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon
1983 10 Meter International Express -sold-
1985 10 Meter International Express
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Trojan 10 Meter International Express Resurrection Post

Post by Big D »

You can use Infinity products on the walls too. Actually looks sharp.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

there is a 10 meter on this forum just like yours - express cruiser with wood veneer on the "walls"

what an amazing look !

I'm a little fuzzy, but perhaps it is Lt. Brett's 10 meter ?

you may have to search to locate a pic or PM him direct

this is the boat

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... rior#p9252

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
my10meter
Sporadic User

Post by my10meter »

I am in Grand Haven here in MI. If you want to come take a look at my boat, feel welcome. It is in drydock now, and going in the water in mid April. I have done extensive mods. Here are some pics including veneer interior. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33192674@N ... 972670334/
Capt Dana
85'/05' 10 Meter Express
http://www.fishgh.com
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

That Interior looks awesome, I haven't decided what way to go yet. My upholstery on the deck is nearly complete and my cabin interior was just sent off to be done.

I know I haven't posted any progress in a while but progress is being made. The electronics are piled up in my basement ready to be installed. The boat is under shrink since it left the paint shop 3 weeks ago, and I have been waiting to pull it off until we have more consistent weather. As soon as I pull it off, I will be posting photos again. This weekend I will be getting Quartz counter tops fabricated for it.

At this point I'm down to putting it all back together as the items are refinished.
Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

Its been a while...

Well I posted updated photos of the progress of my 10 meter. Interior will be completely in by this coming weekend, and the new window should be done by then as well. Carpet guy was out yesterday and should have the deck carpet cut and bound by Wednesday, as well as the name and MC# vinyl will be done Wednesday.. She's coming along nicely.

I also had some time to do oil changes wires plugs etc., and turned the motors and genny.

The cabin is taking a bit longer, but I have nearly completed the Teak veneered doors, carpet is cut and ready to install, and the new wall covering arrived. I should have it completed in the next 3 weeks and I will post photos then.

After that we'll be installing all the new electronics.

I should have already been finished however my first child, a boy, came 3 weeks earlier than expected.
Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

The Boat is looking really really good and Congrats on the new baby!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Looking pretty darn good.

Congrats on the new son.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

Thank you everyone for the wonderful wishes, time to tinker sure is scarce now but I'm getting it done.

Here is a few more progress photos. The tops are done, bar refinished, seats all in, side panels in and new floor which I still need to do a bit of trimming. Best of all she's floating!

Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Great work. Looks like a new 10 Meter.
John