PANEL FACE LIFT FOR ENTERPRISE....SORT OF...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

PANEL FACE LIFT FOR ENTERPRISE....SORT OF...

Post by aaronbocknek »

greetings from memphis...and spokane tomorrow. on the road for work. HOWEVER, this past week i finally got the gumption to give my instrument panel a slight face lift. the gauges are tired and showing their age. some needed to be tapped a bit just to give a reading. i've decided to honor the tri cabin i grew up on, and swap out the old DATCON gauges with seastar/teleflex heavy duty gauges. i love the look and they are really easy for these old eyes to read. eventually the others will be $$waped out, but, for now, the oil pressure gauges were the most important as last year they started to get a bit of a 'tick'. they would swing from one direction to the other, and the port one just passed away and rested below horizontal never to be resurrected no matter what. i knew it was a bum gauge when i swapped out the starboard gauge for the port one and it read. my question is this. the only ones that cannot be changed are the hour meters. any ideas? is there a way to hook new ones up to a battery and let them run to catch up? the boat was repowered in 1996 but i do not think the hour meters were changed out. why i have no idea as it would make sense. right? i know if i were to have them replaced or rebuilt to ''0'', i'd change them.
here are some pics for you guys to enjoy/scrutinize.....
aaron

(the original terminal 'quick connect' modules could not be used for the new ones. the new terminals had to be individually wired using ring connectors and connected with the lock nuts provided by the manufacturer.)

boat gauge 2 after before.jpg
boat gauge 2 after before.jpg (20.08 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
boat gauges 4.jpg
boat gauges 4.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
boat gauges panel 3.jpg
boat gauges panel 3.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: PANEL FACE LIFT FOR ENTERPRISE....SORT OF...

Post by prowlersfish »

Most hour meters can be hooked up to power to ad hours . Most folks just note the old reading when replacing , some keep the old ones wire tied behind the dash as prof of hours
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Most hour meters can be hooked up to power to ad hours . Most folks just note the old reading when replacing , some keep the old ones wire tied behind the dash as prof of hours
hey thanks paul. something to consider. thank you.

and, while i know that some prefer the new digital technology, this swap out to analog is my personal preference. i find digital hard to read. i don't expect everyone to understand, but, for me, i like the look of the analog gauges that i'm putting in. my boat. my choice. simple as that.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

prowlersfish wrote:Most hour meters can be hooked up to power to ad hours . Most folks just note the old reading when replacing , some keep the old ones wire tied behind the dash as prof of hours
Yep, previous owner swapped out to new hour meters when a rebuild was done and relocated the old hour meters in the starboard side lockers.