1973 Stalling After Running

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Nicksdad

1973 Stalling After Running

Post by Nicksdad »

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a 1973 F30 w/Mercruiser 305's. The STBD engine stalls only after going out for any amount of time,
then on the return in the no wake zone at 1000 RPMs, it stalls....Every time. Normally It will start right back up, and return with
no issues. The engine will idle forever at the dock and runs great! I changed the plugs. It needed a raw water pump, so I switched
the old one to a CS driven one. One neighbor says to change out the points for Pertronix, another neighbor say No. Looking for any ideas to help.
I have a disabled son who loves my boat, but I need to fix this to take him out.
Thanks!!
Dave
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: 1973 Stalling After Running

Post by P-Dogg »

Welcome to the forum. How many hours on your engines? Fresh water cooled? Raw water? Recent risers?

Sounds not unlike the symptoms of my 30 year old raw-water cooled engine as the block was dissolving. Are the plugs rusty? Did you pull them and crank the suspect engine over? Loosely place paper towels over the plug ports to catch what is coming out, if it is anything besides air. Is the oil milky? Have you changed the fuel filters? All of them, including the tiny one at the carb (if so equipped)? Switched fuel supply from one engine to the other, so you know if it is fuel feed related? Does it run in gear but not in neutral? Neutral but not in gear?

The above items are either practically free, or worth doing anyway. And more data will result in more accurate armchair troubleshooting....

Did a search of "boat engine runs wide open stalls at idle"

found http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -help.html
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Had a similar issue with my Slickcraft using the same motors....

The boat would start and run and haul ass. But the port motor would sometimes stall for no apparent reason while trolling, and I could almost count on it to stall upon return and at a critical point during the docking procedure.

Ended up being a points/dwell issue.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Are you coming off plan suddenly ? Try slowing down off plane slowly . When you come of fast , you have a hot engine and you suddenly reduce the water flow by reducing rpm . And it heats up monetarily
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
CaptG

Post by CaptG »

I switched my points distributors to Pertronix and have been real happy with results. I do have different engines, but don't see that it would be any different.
Gary
Miss Vicki
10 meter international express
F32 express
S. Haven, Mi.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

To Prowler's questions... how quickly are you dropping throttle? Yanking it back can be a case of simple fuel starvation, timing, or accelerator pump. If you throttle back slowly, wondering if you have a choke issue that it juts closes and shuts you down.. but restarting resets it? I have had issues with lack of timing advance in the past but they typically were related more to lack of acceleration or being able to get RPMs to proper cruising range. Shutdown on deceleration is more likely loss of fuel or oxygen to the carb.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Above are all valid points. Also check your advance weights/mechanism and make sure they are springing back easily. If not, they can be sticking in advanced position at higher rpm and not returning for a while when you throttle back.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Nicksdad

Post by Nicksdad »

Thank you all for your assistance. I will try to answer each question. The plugs were replaced last May. I have not checked them this year. I changed all the fuel filters last month.
I've only owned the boat since 2012 so I don't know the hours on engines. They seemed well maintained when I bought it. I don't put a lot of hours on them relatively. When returning from the bay, I throttle down from 2800 to 1400 I guess fast. It stalls after about 3-5 mins at 1400-1000 rpm in the pre no wake zone. The boat is at my shore house so I only get it work on it/test it on weekends. I'm going to try all of your suggestions tomorrow and see how it goes. I may install the Pertronix at some point too. I don't think it can hurt, even though my neighbor says points are much more reliable and repairable. I will also try to throttle down much slower and see what happens as well.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Been there done that - I had similar issues and I say its the carburetor. Had both of mine rebuilt and professionally dialed in and no more stalling issues.

A bad carb can mess up a new set of plugs rather quickly,
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
wetbuoy

Post by wetbuoy »

I just wrote for help and accidentally erased the message and found yours, similar to mine. My F28 stbd would idle fine then run well for some time, then stall usually as I was trying to back in my slip. Excellent. Think we traced it to the coil overheating due to poor cooling (bad impeller), and some assorted ignition issues. I have put in new Flamethrower Distributors with electronic ign. modules and no more stalling. Also carb rebuild kit is around 35$. Had to match the coils and wires and distributors for correct resistances but great now.
Good luck,
Wetbuoy
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
Nicksdad

Post by Nicksdad »

Hi All, the problem continues with a twist. I changed the fuel water sep. filter and inline fuel filters again, and the dist. condenser too this past week. Added a good amount of StarTron fuel treatment, and I cleaned the points. She ran great as usual out on the bay, I came off plane very slowly and ran at 1200 rpm longer than normal all the way thru the no wake zone. Both engines stalled at the usual spot (about 15 mins at that speed)! The port side started right up and ran for about 5 mins alone, the STBD side, started right up in my lagoon and I brought it back to the dock. Unreal. I think I may do the Electronic ignition conversion on the STBD engine. I'm at a loss. Both engines ran beautifully. I have dual points with all ACCEL parts. So frustrating with a short season in NJ. I would try a mechanic but no one can recommend one in my local area.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Do they start running poorly right before they stall or do they run fine then suddenly quit?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Nicksdad

Post by Nicksdad »

They just die. This is the first time ever the port side stalled. The Stbd side has done it all season. And it makes no sense to me that you can
restart them, and they run fine (better than the alternative of just not restarting), but its driving me crazy. Also, the fact that it dies in almost the
exact spot every time is really frustrating.
Nicksdad

Post by Nicksdad »

Just a thought. Is it worth it to change out the thermostat? I've only owned the boat 4 years, so I don't know the age. Could the engine be heating up in the creek/no wake zone after running?
I'm so desperate that I will change anything out if it's relatively inexpensive.
trojanwars

Post by trojanwars »

Hello,
This might sound crazy but it just might be two things that can be hard to figure out, First, it could be the ballast resisters that regulate the voltage going to the coils but it could be a thing called an anti-perculator valve on the carbs, when engines are hot and idling or low throttle the fuel can boil in the bowls and will make the motors stall, they will start right back up.