Inverter Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Inverter Question

Post by WayWeGo »

New Bern to Norfolk by ICW is 207 miles. Norfolk to the east end of the C&D Canal is another 209 miles, for a total of 416 plus the distance to your dock from the mouth of the C&D. http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/ ... tances.pdf

With 454 Crusaders, you should be getting about .65mpg, so at fuel prices averaging about $3.50, you should expect the fuel bill to be in the neighborhood of $2,500. https://activecaptain.com/fuelLists/fuelIndex.php
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Ed,

very interesting topic and I'll throw my two cents in
Don't allow yourself to get bogged down over the generator and the wacky inverter /battery arrangement, If you love the boat, I wouldn't let an old Onan MCCK 6.5 generator kill the deal. I might remove all of the batteries and inverter system merely for weights sake. Honestly, unless that old Onan had perfect care prior to you buying the boat, it was most likely nothing more that a money sucking - temper flaring hunk of crap. Parts are hard to find and very expensive and they are very temperamental.

I have the same piece of $#!+ on our boat and I run a Honda EU2000 when anchored to run the fridge , battery charger and heat water and I never worry and cant hear it when its running up on the bow.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Notniuq21

Post by Notniuq21 »

Hello All.....
Sorry for the delay....just wanted to give a quick update on what happened.
Well, I had the survey. A very knowledgeable person who is SAMS certified ....and also happens to have an "electrical" background.
The owner was there also, as he was supposed to drive the boat for the sea-trial. To make a long story short....we never made it to the sea-trial. The surveyor was not happy with the inverter set-up the owner installed. I asked the surveyor to look at this first....and if it wasn't right to stop the survey. He found a lot of things wrong with this set up and said it was a big safety hazard. He used a lot of electrical "mumbo jumbo" words that I half followed...but he did make sense. Thats when all he** broke loose. The owner and he got into a heated argument, with the owner hurling insults at the surveyor ( I won't go into the details). Anyway, I just had a bad gut feeling....with other things he said that he replaced/repaired on the boat, and it wasn't even done. I backed out of the deal. Even the surveyor had "bad vibes" about this owner and didn't have a good feeling just by talking to him.
You guys are right, there are other Trojans out there...and I've been looking at a few more 10/ 10.8 Meters.
Made a few offers....I 'll see what happens.
Thanks again for all your insight...advice...opinions, and especially encouragement.
This is the best forum I've ever seen!! :D
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Sorry you had that experience, but glad it worked out.

Still a buyers market!! good luck
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Ed,

Good job, a lot of people let their emotions take over and make bad decisions and look back and say, "I should have gone with my gut feeling" you just saved yourself a huge headache and money pit.

Keep looking, there are a lot of good Trojan boats out there, find yourself one that already has diesels
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Gettaway said, [*Don't allow yourself to get bogged down over the generator and the wacky inverter /battery arrangement, If you love the boat, I wouldn't let an old Onan MCCK 6.5 generator kill the deal. I might remove all of the batteries and inverter system merely for weights sake. Honestly, unless that old Onan had perfect care prior to you buying the boat, it was most likely nothing more that a money sucking - temper flaring hunk of crap. Parts are hard to find and very expensive and they are very temperamental.]

Wow, what a long and involved saga this has been.

I had a tendency to agree with Gettaway and his advice to try and negotiate yourself away from the inverter set-up and forget all about the missing generator.

Then if the rest of the boat stacked up, you could go could go get yourself a nice new genny after making the purchase.

But only if the boat itself had good bones and was just unfortunately shackled by a wacky but hopefully responsible and reasonable owner.

If the Surveyor found the boat to be sound, I thought you could have got her sorted out to your own tastes later on.

Then the long distance delivery issue popped up with the cost of gas, wear and tear on the trip and insurance etc etc. and I didn't like that.

But, when the owner snapped at the Surveyor, instead of being interested in what the Surveyor was trying to point out, it was a tell tale warning and if it were me, I would have decided to move along to another boat.

I learned quite a bit from Big D's list of points that I certainly didn't know before.

Good luck with the new search.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

rickalan35 wrote:Gettaway said, [*Don't allow yourself to get bogged down over the generator and the wacky inverter /battery arrangement, If you love the boat, I wouldn't let an old Onan MCCK 6.5 generator kill the deal. I might remove all of the batteries and inverter system merely for weights sake. Honestly, unless that old Onan had perfect care prior to you buying the boat, it was most likely nothing more that a money sucking - temper flaring hunk of crap. Parts are hard to find and very expensive and they are very temperamental.]

Wow, what a long and involved saga this has been.

I had a tendency to agree with Gettaway and his advice to try and negotiate yourself away from the inverter set-up and forget all about the missing generator.

Then if the rest of the boat stacked up, you could go could go get yourself a nice new genny after making the purchase.

But only if the boat itself had good bones and was just unfortunately shackled by a wacky but hopefully responsible and reasonable owner.

If the Surveyor found the boat to be sound, I thought you could have got her sorted out to your own tastes later on.

Then the long distance delivery issue popped up with the cost of gas, wear and tear on the trip and insurance etc etc. and I didn't like that.

But, when the owner snapped at the Surveyor, instead of being interested in what the Surveyor was trying to point out, it was a tell tale warning and if it were me, I would have decided to move along to another boat.

I learned quite a bit from Big D's list of points that I certainly didn't know before.

Good luck with the new search.
ditto...
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

This is a perfect example of what I tried to relay in my previous post that just because one has seemingly all the right credentials in a particular/related field means very little if it's not marine specific, there are so many differences. Glad someone in the know called him out on it. Suddenly all the money he said he spent on it means squat, worst yet, it's unsafe!

Good luck in your search. You'll find her eventually.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:This is a perfect example of what I tried to relay in my previous post that just because one has seemingly all the right credentials in a particular/related field means very little if it's not marine specific, there are so many differences. Glad someone in the know called him out on it. Suddenly all the money he said he spent on it means squat, worst yet, it's unsafe!

Good luck in your search. You'll find her eventually.
Agreed
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I see its back on Ebay at a lower price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-TROJAN-10- ... 1476912073