Replacement Carburetor - Mercrusier 305

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Replacement Carburetor - Mercrusier 305

Post by zedtwentyate »

Has anyone replaced the quadrajet on their Merc 305? I am running into some issues with the Q-Jet and I am thinking about a swap. I know there's an Edelbrock and a Holley that will bolt up. Any thoughts?
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
jordan
Sporadic User

Re: Replacement Carburetor - Mercrusier 305

Post by jordan »

I'm happy with the Edelbrocks, I had Carter Competion series and replaced with 1409's.
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Have you tried rebuilding or having it rebuilt? They are reliable carbs.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

I would like to rebuild it. Ive actually done one before for a 71 Nova, so I am confident that I could. However, I just left for Orlando this morning and won't be back in town until midnight Thursday and have a boat trip planned on Friday.
What I'd like to do is get something ordered so I can installed it Friday morning, then rebuild my old one and keep it as a spare.
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well I decided to order an Edelbrock 1409. I'll be putting it in on Friday and will let you know how it performs.
Kegan

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

zedtwentyate wrote:Well I decided to order an Edelbrock 1409. I'll be putting it in on Friday and will let you know how it performs.
Did you get the adapter plate ?....you will need it as the qjet is a spread bore , the 1409 is not and needs the correct four hole plate under it to work right .....Mike
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Yes sir I did! My only concern is the height and hatch clearance once that adapter is installed. I'll find out Friday!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

So the Edelbrock is installed and runs great. There's only one problem....the height.

The Edelbrock requires a spread bore to squad bore adapter and this adds another .83" of height and the hatch hits the flame arrestor.

Anyone had any ideas on what I can do here? I am thinking about cutting a hole in the hatch and installing one of those round plastic deck plates, but I'm not sure if that would look silly. The hatch seems to be pretty thick, so doing this should give me the clearance I need.

Thoughts?
Kegan

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I have seen some different style flame arresters that may work.....how much room do you need, can you modify the arrester you have further if it is only .250" or so.....also there are some small hatches that may work better than the round access.....maybe look like was supposed to be there...what year was the Z...
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

mikeandanne wrote:I have seen some different style flame arresters that may work.....how much room do you need, can you modify the arrester you have further if it is only .250" or so.....also there are some small hatches that may work better than the round access.....maybe look like was supposed to be there...what year was the Z...
Well, I cut a round hole and installed a hood scoop...just kidding. I did put the round deck plate in and it looks pretty good. I need a larger one, due to my poor measuring skills.

Are you asking about the Z because of my username? It really isn't anything exciting, just a 95 that was modified quite a bit. I sold my 71 nova and bought that because I was young and foolish. It was an amazing car and it led me to my last love, my 2002 Trans AM WS6...which I sold to buy my wife her engagement ring. I don't regret that at all! Now, my passion for cars is turning into a passion for boats!
Kegan