chrysler 400 distributor

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

chrysler 400 distributor

Post by Misty »

Another annoying newbie question here guys. When I purchased the 1976 trifly w twin 400s there had been some minor"tampering" by prospective buyers and marina mates etc... (boat was open for years) so when I decided to replace the plug wires I noticed the elect dist caps did not have numbering on them. This was important because the wires that are on there have crazy masking tape lables that do not correspond to the cyl castings. So how can I be certain which goes to which? Refernce marks? Buy a new cap??
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: chrysler 400 distributor

Post by Reel Easy »

The standard rotation engine firing order is 18436572. Number 1 is front opposite the distributor. With the cap off and coil wire removed. Tap the engine over till you are at top dead center on the compression stroke. You can take the #1 plug out and feel air pressure. When the marks on the harmonic balancer line up stop. Wherever your rotor is pointing is #1. The wires go on counter clockwise. It's a bit confusing.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Yup as Reel easy said
Don't rely on the cap being numbered, just start from the beginning.
If you do it the suggested way and you don't like where the rotor is pointing you can pull the distributer out and turn the shaft 180 degrees and put the distributer back in.
The drive in the bottom is like a slot screw driver and can go in in 2 positions
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Reverse rotation engine firing order is 12756348. #1 is still in the same place.
Last edited by Reel Easy on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dustin
Catawba Island, Ohio
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Thanks! Its the stbd im working on!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Reel Easy wrote:The standard rotation engine firing order is 18436572.... The wires go on counter clockwise. It's a bit confusing.
Reel Easy wrote:Reverse rotation engine firing order is 12756348. #1 is still in the same place. The distributor rotor turns clockwise
You're right it is a bit confusing but unless I'm forgetting something, as I recall, every counter rotating engine's rotor direction is the same as the direction of the rotor on the standard rotating engine. The direction may change for different models, but I recall the rotor direction being the same for both engine directions. Am I forgetting something?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Big D wrote:
Reel Easy wrote:The standard rotation engine firing order is 18436572.... The wires go on counter clockwise. It's a bit confusing.
Reel Easy wrote:Reverse rotation engine firing order is 12756348. #1 is still in the same place. The distributor rotor turns clockwise
You're right it is a bit confusing but unless I'm forgetting something, as I recall, every counter rotating engine's rotor direction is the same as the direction of the rotor on the standard rotating engine. The direction may change for different models, but I recall the rotor direction being the same for both engine directions. Am I forgetting something?
Nope....both CCW as far as I remember....Mike
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

You both are correct. I was misinformed on that. My apologies. There is a easy way to find out. Take the cap off and watch it.
Dustin
Catawba Island, Ohio
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Follow up. Sorted out that its the rev rotation on my STBD side (76 trifly) and some evildoer had mixed up the wires as I suspected. Firing order should be 127xxxx8 and it had four wires switched on the second half of the firing series
I added the new wires I bought here and cap and rotor and guess what? No more backfiring ! Runs great.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

That's great news. We always like hearing back what fixed the problems.
Dustin
Catawba Island, Ohio