Going to purchase 1988 f32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: Going to purchase 1988 f32

Post by Reel Easy »

You fill out forms with questions like hours, condition, fire extinguishers. Take pictures and mail them. You insure for liability, EPA fines and a agreed amount for total loss. I haven't had to make a claim. Hopefully I won't. It's better than nothing.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sorry - but a piece of paper saying you are covered is useless unless the company you are dealing with will actually pay up. Promoting insurance with a company just because they are cheap is a bad idea... You have to understand and consider their willingness to pay out in the event of a loss before you can really rate them as a service provider. If they are never going to pay, your coverage is a waste of money.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Boat US is very well known and are considered one of the best . And they are not cheap . The self survey is something fairly new and they want good photos and there is a lot of questions .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Yes Boat U.S. is rated very well. I'm suprised you have never heard of them. I never said it was cheap. Because it's not. I'm not promoting anything just trying to help.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Reel Easy wrote:Yes Boat U.S. is rated very well. I'm suprised you have never heard of them. I never said it was cheap. Because it's not. I'm not promoting anything just trying to help.
I suspect its because its not offered in Ontario . I have known people that have made claims and felt they were very fair . I used to have them on the F36 but the price got way to high . ( its come back down ) . I do have it on my Rib .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

No Insurance? where do you berth the boat? you can't even get an overnight slip in California without $800,000 fuel oil spill insurance, let alone liability to cover the cost of the marina and surrounding boats should a boat catch fire...
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

We have BoatUS insurance on the Trojan and also had them on our previous boat. At first, we used the same carrier as our home insurance, as they were cheaper than BoatUS, but I got nervous because they specifically excluded spill liability. When I checked BoatUS again, they were almost 30% cheaper. With the F36, I did not shop around and just went with BoatUS. I might have been able to get a better deal on the surface, but as others have said, BoatUS has a great reputation for handling claims quickly and fairly.

I was not offered an opportunity to do a self survey, they wanted a SAMS or NAMS survey for full coverage. Perhaps they would take one for a liability policy or a new boat?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

When I got a quote on My F36 ( I always shop around renewal time just in case ) I got the quote and self survey info . Perhaps it was because the boat had insurance elsewhere and not a new purchase ? I may call and find out
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just got off the phone .
Boat Us has some guide lines on this but there seems to be some flexibility ,Age is a factor , size , purchase price ( too low sets off a flag ) . But it is up to the under writer .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

gettaway wrote:No Insurance? where do you berth the boat? you can't even get an overnight slip in California without $800,000 fuel oil spill insurance, let alone liability to cover the cost of the marina and surrounding boats should a boat catch fire...
This thread is way off topic but still relevant to the original topic. And to Gettaway I have a private dock behind my house. Off the top of my head 2 other Trojan F32 owners locally at local marinas also do not carry any insurance, actually I must know a dozen guys with no insurance and only two with off the top of my head. I think many of them dont bother because of the survey so hearing of this Boat US self survey is great news. One is defiantly interested for liability at least but the survey is hanging him up, hes at one of the nicest marinas in the state and probably only leaves the marina twice a month lol. The view at my "Marina" gets old, I like to leave often, I get transient slips a few times a year at various marinas for a day or up to one week, never been asked or thought about the insurance requirement if any. Thanks for the great info, hopefully Boat US and the Self Survey will be the way we go in the spring, their coming out in the next two to 6 weeks :-/ sad time of year
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Boat US and SeaWorthy both do self survey. For SeaWorthy, they wanted 4 pictures of the Hull, both sides, bow and stern. Engine compartment, Cockpit, and Cabin photos. They sent a Checklist of items that you had to check or not depending on your situation.
FYI, Seaworthy was about $300.00 cheaper per year. They also did agreed value.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

continuing the hijack. I switched to progressive a year back. Self survey. I think I submitted 16 pictures as their request. 8 exterior, 8 interior two of which were each engine, one of the genny. Guaranteed value policy. I was skeptical, but a fellow boater in our Marina has had them several years. He had a claim with a bent rudder, no issues at all.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

This subject may be off topic, but its important nonetheless.

I insured my previous vessel with State Farm. There was never a survey and only a few pictures were required. I did have a small claim, due to another boater, and I believe he had Boat US. The claim was handled and settled as quickly and satisfactorily as one could hope for. An insurance company that does not pay on their contract is committing a crime. It's in their best interest to settle.

My current vessel is considered commercial and therefore the coverage and survey requirements are completely different.