Removing Vinyl From Interior

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lizz

Removing Vinyl From Interior

Post by Lizz »

Is there a smart way to remove the interior vinyl? It comes off wood pretty easily, but getting it off the hull
Is a bear. There's too much mold to leave it. I'm sure the Trojan folks never thought anyone would be crazy enough to take it off, but here I am. The photos from my phone are too high res to upload, but here's a link.
https://goo.gl/photos/WHhrAUJngDQoB5DG7 Thanks for your help!
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...
K4282
Moderate User

Re: Removing Vinyl From Interior

Post by K4282 »

wallpaper/adhesive remover? heat usually helps
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

This is a good question :) I've been pulling it off mine where I can, then when it won't come off I move to another area. Eventually I will have to get the stubborn stuff off as well. I think heat would help, and possible some solvent. The glue that is used is not like wall paper adhesive, it's more like contact cement.
Last edited by Barrie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thank, guys. I'll try heat - perfect weather for it!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Tested a spot with a space heater and it definitely loosened it up. I'll bring a heat gun next time and let y'all know how it goes. Thanks, again! Nice to be part of the Trojan fam.
fpawn

Post by fpawn »

I wondering what vinyl are you talking about??
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Maybe that's not the correct term, but it's the covering that's on any plywood walls, the v-berth and the head. I swear it's the first thing they did. Every piece of wood on the boat is on top of it. We're going to have to take the whole darn boat apart to get rid of it. But all manner of things are lurking under it, so it's gotta go.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Hi Lizz,

We removed all of the vinyl from the bulkheads in our boat and replaced it with teak veneer. Removing the vinyl was the easier part yet still took some muscle. The remaining glue was the tougher part of the job and we could not find a solvent that helped (without damaging the wood). It required time and patience however with the use of a heat gun and scraper we were able to clean the wood up and prep it for the teak.

Hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Paul, that sounds like a job. Whew. What did you put in the head? I would really like to have something water resistent enough to not need a shower curtain.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Actually the head is the only thing we left alone. It has the original goldish yellow vinyl on the walls and is in too good a condition to make a priority. We did however swap out the toilet and water fixtures.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

my head is original 1974, yellow/vinyl covering on the walls, I shower there no problem, my headliner looks bad, im going to replace with starboard or a type of lexan
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

K4282 wrote:my head is original 1974, yellow/vinyl covering on the walls, I shower there no problem, my headliner looks bad, im going to replace with starboard or a type of lexan
Lucky you! Our boat has been wet for so long that I don't think I'll be ok with it until I'm sure anything that could harbor mold is gone. We're going to replace the headliner, too, but I never thought of using starboard or lexan. What made you pick those materials as options?
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I don't want to spoil your fun but. If your cabin is that wet I would check for rotten decks before you spend to much time or money. Check for leaks around the deck fittings and windshield after you have the headliner down.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Reel Easy wrote:I don't want to spoil your fun but. If your cabin is that wet I would check for rotten decks before you spend to much time or money. Check for leaks around the deck fittings and windshield after you have the headliner down.
Thanks for the advice! Will do. I'm not boat savvy - yet! - but I don't think the boat spent a lot of time down in the water. The interior really isn't that bad. But I'm a little crazy about cleaning things I may not see again.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I was at the boat today and the glue your talking about looks and feels like contact cement. Try lacquer thinner and plenty of ventilation.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio