1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by Jimmy »

Actually read lots of others used the sand paper. 100 grit sounds course? I will try some 250 as I have it handy. Yes, it is a bit aged. Thanks for info on the foam vs wool. Better to know than to guess.....

Great info!
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Noooo. do not use 250 grit. start with 2500 then work toward 1000. If 2500 does the job stick with it. If not step down to 2000 or 1500. And yes use wool on compounds and foam with finish polish and wax. Clean it in between uses.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

My baad, thought I read 100. Yes 1000 sounds about right. Been traveling so not had a chance to try it yet.

Agreed, Nooooo on the 100.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Depending on your compound, you may have a 2500 to 3000 grit comparison. If your compound is not cutting it, I would start with wetsanding with 1500, redo with 2000, and then try the compound again. It might save you some time. I like to throw a little dishwashing liquid in my pail of water. Let the sandpaper soak for awhile. Put some of the water/soap in a spray bottle, and let the sandpaper do the work. You need very little/no pressure. Just keep it wet. Keep rinsing the paper to clear the residue. If the fiberglass was just dull without oxidation, I would start higher, but IMHO I think you'll need the 1500 to work through the oxidation.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

I'm in the final stages of purchasing an 89 10 meter mid cabin and I can't stop staring at your boat. You did an amazing job and I can only hope that my boat will look like that some day. It's in great shape, so a total overhaul is out of the question right now. Kudos to you on a job well done Todd!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thank you very much for the compliment! wish you the best of luck with your boat. just remember, a total overhaul is nothing more than a bunch of small project strung together! lol
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

YorkLyn; You ready for another project!! :roll: :roll: :roll: TWINS!!!

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5378815340.html

Just kidding, great job on number 1.
F32 Fly 1975
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

New to the site and starting my own restoration process tomorrow, just read a lot of your journal. Great stuff, great inspiration. Congratulations.
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thank you,
If there is anything that I can help you with anything feel free to contact me. Best of luck with your project. The people on this site were such a inspiration for me for me during my project. Just remember that there is no such thing as a "dumb" question so never hesitate to ask one.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions on something? Although my children enjoyed the boat this past summer my 10 year old daughter has decided she doesn't care for spending the night on it. Its hard to justify the expense and upkeep of a 33 foot boat when its only used as a day boat. I'm trying to decide what to do with the Boat? I ended trucking her back to my shop for the winter because i didnt want her to sit out in the elements. my wife and I already decided that were not going to put her in this year . we plan on putting the slip money towards paying off the debt from the boat renovation. I'm trying to figure out what shes worth? I knew going into the renovation that id never get the money back out. i also realize that shes also worth more that a boat that hasnt been touched. She just surveyed out at around $75K.
What do you guys think a realistic asking price would be???? I dont want to give her away but i hate seeing her in storage again.
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Check prices on yacht world . After all that work I hate to see this . Not sure what your daughter objections are but maybe you can work on them ? Going to marinas where the kids may have some fun or even bring her friends along . Find a boating group that has members with kids her age . just some thoughts .

As far as what you can get for it , sadly your going to take a big hit . Even if someone would pay what a like new Trojan should be worth , banks will go by the book in most cases .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I agree with Paul. We also have a young lad that we need to keep entertained every weekend. So it's internet, Xbox, a friend, water toys, etc. Shallow anchorages where other kids are playing are the norm for us. It works!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Very sorry to read this, after all the effort! :cry: :oops: :oops:
F32 Fly 1975
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

invite FRIENDS on the boat and visit INTERESTING places to visit that would appeal to that age.

Beach bonfires are always fun.

FRIENDS, FRIENDS, FRIENDS.

Get a dink and share/teach/show.

Oh, did I mention FRIENDS ?

CREATE INVOLVEMENT !!!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Its all good. naturally I wasnt planning on putting all this effort into renovating her only to sell her. I completed her. It was a project that I started with my father before he passed away and I was able to see it through, properly, without cutting any corners! Still cant believe I actually did it but I did! Just meeting my goal was all I really needed.
Got 5 months on her with the kids and some memories that will last me a lifetime . Like I said, I dont plan on giving her away for 25 to 30k. Heck I have over 15k just in the engines!
we were going to move her off the Chesapeake and to the beach and use her as a floating beach house since theres more to do . my daughter having anxiety about sleeping on her stopped those plans.
I believe my plan will be to put her up for sale for a "reasonable yet realistic" amount. If however i can only get the current market price of a un renovated 10 meter I will most likely just sit on her for a while?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea