1975 44 ft

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Femmeboater

1975 44 ft

Post by Femmeboater »

I am new to this forum but just viewed a 44 ft motor yacht and wondered what you experienced folks would think. I love the teak decking and huge skylight but it has been neglected for at least three years. It's priced at 25k but the foreigner who showed it had lied on the ad various times just to get someone to come look at it. Since it has been raining cats and dogs I got to view it to see that their were numerous spots where the windows were dripping inside, but the teak didn't show signs of water damage. The headliner was perfect around all the hatches too, but on top, the water was running down the edges of the toe rails and the teak seemed discolored in certain spots around the toe rails. So sad to see such a magnificent vessel so neglected, but my gut was telling me run, run ,run!
Koehler generator not operating, no hours to report on the 454's and they were smoking pretty good- any thoughts out there?
What would it take to rebuild the gen and engines? What would be a fair offer in view of the work involved?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: 1975 44 ft

Post by P-Dogg »

How about a link to the ad?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Teak decks don't usually show signs of problems except for discolouration. The plywood under the teak may be completely rotted though.

Before submitting an offer, I'd get a mechanic to assess the engines and generator, and get a good surveyor to survey the vessel. That will give you an indication of it's value based on current condition, and what you're in for concerning repairs. The list of deficiencies will also serve as a good bargaining tool. You'll likely need a survey for the insurance company anyway.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

That gut part is you. So your thoughts are run. A 44 is a mount Everest for the first time project person. If you think run when you see Everest, don't take another step!!!
RonW

Post by RonW »

Are you in the USA or Canada ?
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Femmeboater wrote:What would be a fair offer in view of the work involved?
Do what I do... If you are up to the challenge, offer to take the title in exchange for their headache. Yes, you will be asking him to give you the boat for free.