Hello

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

OneHippShip

Hello

Post by OneHippShip »

Hello fellow Trojan owners. I am new to this site, but have owned my F-28 since August 2013. So far I have re-cored the bridge floor & engine hatches, milled & finished new bridge ladder steps & re-built salon wall including small beam that supports the cockpit entrance. The "to do" list is still quite extensive but, as you all know, have to continue because we love our Trojans! I am thinking I would like to convert to Electronic fuel injection. I have twin Chrysler 318's. Has anyone done this, and is it beneficial?
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Hello

Post by bjanakos »

Welcome aboard!

We would love to hear more about your projects, post them up!

Regarding your switch to EFI... Not sure what the more experienced guys will say about the Chryslers, but an EFI conversion will entail new heads let alone all the ignition parts. You're looking at an entire top end rebuild. IMO, I would save that until you need to do a rebuild /re-power.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Greetings and welcome!

I second what Bjankos said. I have to ask -- why? What are you hoping to achieve? Electronic ignition conversion is another matter.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the forum . While I am a big fan of EFI , the conversions I have seen have not worked out that great . they run fair no positive difference in fuel burn .Some got worse . Most went back to carbs . While there is no need to change heads its still not cheap . If you want EFI that works well then a complete EFI engine is in order Merc and Crusader are good choices .

As far as electronic ignition , there are some good kits out there that work well , and a few that don't . If your engines have the factory electronic ignition , let it be it .Its one of the better systems
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote:Welcome to the forum . While I am a big fan of EFI , the conversions I have seen have not worked out that great . they run fair no positive difference in fuel burn .Some got worse . Most went back to carbs . While there is no need to change heads its still not cheap . If you want EFI that works well then a complete EFI engine is in order Merc and Crusader are good choices .

As far as electronic ignition , there are some good kits out there that work well , and a few that don't . If your engines have the factory electronic ignition , let it be it .Its one of the better systems
I second that and will add that if your 318 is mechanically sound, then properly tuned ( even points),it will perform as good or better than the retrofit without all the drama(expense).....
OneHippShip

Post by OneHippShip »

Thanks for all the great thoughts. Sounds like money would be better spent elsewhere. The 318's do seem to run ok, around 1225 hrs. on each. Slight oil seep on starboard. Also, when I had the port side inside paneling off, I found some lead weights that look like they may be there from the factory for ballast. Did they do this? Mine is a 1976.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Boats tend to run at single speed for long times... I would spend the money on fuel flow measurement rather than EFI for a constant speed use.
Of course one could just find the sweet spot using one's ears and trim tabs and save the $$$, ;)
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL