1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by P-Dogg »

Todd -- get back on the meds!

5 months with the boat? You spent that much time posting about the re-build. I second the bring-your-daughter's-friends deal. Most times I've gone on the boat, it has been spur of the moment when my kids had friends over and they said can we go the boat? Of course!

I sold the plane and bought a boat so that I could spend more time with my kids, who are now 16 and 18. OK -- so it was expensive, but so is a (properly maintained) boat. Since I turned 18, I spent about 200 hours at "home." In too few years your kid could live in Seattle or something -- make the most of this family crap while you can. A boat is the ideal way.

I also second the dink idea. My tricab is a little bigger, so I can sport a 15 hp RIB, which is practically a portable amusement ride. See what your options are for your boat. Being able to anchor out and have a bonfire ashore is a wonderful experience. I can show you some places that are an easy ride from your place.

It is almost my bedtime. Perhaps I'm already asleep and this post is just a bad dream. I'll wake up in the morning and check.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

We just went trough a two year period with our now 16 year old daughter. Boys, school, growing pains, our life style, our likes and dislikes, vs a maturing child, just don't fit. In the end they all grow out of it! Keep the boat, do day visits you've earned it. In a couple of years the universe will change, life will go on and you will have a boat well worth being proud of, with memories of you and your fathers accomplishments, family time together. And a future you will look forward to!
F32 Fly 1975
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Todd,

Have patience with me folks, I sure don't want to upset anyone, but I was thinking about what Todd has said and...

..... the other side of this coin is that sometimes when we accomplish our goals, we have a slight let down. Smelling the roses is a little tougher when we're the one who had to plant the seeds and grow the entire garden.... especially if we don't really like the way roses smell. Not everyone is a boater either, some people are builders and Todd is certainly all of that. Everyone's different. Boats and Fun can be a complicated mix.

I've actually got to the point now where if we have our grandchildren along, we'll make a number of plans within a plan when we go out. We ride out to our favourite bay for three hours and then pull up anchor and cruise to Portland for dinner at the Shipwreck Restaurant. Then we walk over to the general store to buy fresh supplies for breakfast the next morning. Finally, we cruise back out and drop anchor just before nightfall.

There are times when Heather and I just go out and drop anchor and do absolutely nothing for two days. Then sometimes we plan a trip that takes us three full days to get back. Nothing spoils a boat outing for me more than indecision about routes and/or activities. I think that our boats need to be seen as a vehicles for our enjoyment, not something we constantly admire, polish or work on when we're out there, it needs to be the verb and not the noun imo.
To be a boater over the long haul, I believe a person's love of his boat has to become secondary to his love of boating.

I live and boat on a beautiful, inland, historical fresh water lake system. We can swim anywhere, there are no big storms nor tides. Nobody gets sea sick. Its easy to be a boater here. I always feel quite differently though when boating in the ocean with my friends in Florida because it's not my comfort zone.

Todd alway reminded me of the classic entrepreneur in the way he went about the business of restoring his Trojan. He reminds me of me. I have been in business my entire life. I wish I could be as organized and as focussed as he was restoring his boat. He would be able to tackle most any project, he would simply break it down into doable pieces and eventually accomplish the whole affair.

These boats cost us all a lot of money (a LOT of money) and the instant we discover that we don't share an actual "love of boating," we need to consider pulling the plug. imo

No matter what you decide to do, Todd, I believe it'll be the correct decision. If you do sell, somebody's getting a cracker jack of a boat. If you can justify the expense of keeping it, I believe it'll one day make a lot of great memories for you and your family................ then again, good memories can be found everywhere (except maybe on the golf courses I play.)

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Well said Guys.....I have had much the same experiences with a number of boats and cars........brought back some memories reading Todds new experience, funny how things change with time though......good luck with your decision Todd.....Mike
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Rick , good points . I don't know Todd that well But from what I do know I have no doubt about Todd's (and his wife) love of boating and the boat . With that said He is a Family man that will put his kids first .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Todd, you need to decide if a) boating is something you love, b) restoring boats is something you love, or C) both. If the answer is a or c, I would not sell your boat. You will never get what it is worth to you. I sold my last boat when my daughter was playing travel softball because I never had any time to use the boat. Three months later my daughter quit travel softball and two months after that I bought my current boat.

Why not use the boat as a day boat with your daughter and as an overnight boat when it is just you and your wife? Take a few trips with just you and your wife while your daughter stays overnight at grandma's or a friend's house. Some alone time usually is good for a marriage. You can also take the boat out with some guy friends of yours. Once a year I have a "Guy's Day Boating" where me and two of my guy friends take my boat for a long, overnight trip. My wife prefers shorter trips, so she's more than happy to have me spend one weekend a year getting it out of my system without her.

If the cost of keeping the boat at a marina is an issue, look into joining a yacht club. You are not too far from several Delaware River Yachtsman's League (DRYL) clubs on the Delaware River. You can see a list of the clubs at dryl.org/Members/d_r_y_l_member_organizations.htm . The cost of a yacht club is typically 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a marina. If you are interested in joining a yacht club, I would be more than happy to help you get in touch with the right people.

Children are great, but you also need to live your own life. If you love boating and sell your boat anyway, I think you will regret it very shortly. It only took me five months to know I had made a mistake.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

in 6 years she'll be driving...

in 8 she's off to college.......

reminds me of when my own three girls were big into horses and horse shows.

we made a huge lifestyle and financial change to accommodate that interest

turned out to be shortlived

costly mistake for us

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

reminds me of when my own three girls were big into horses and horse shows.

we made a huge lifestyle and financial change to accommodate that interest

turned out to be shortlived

costly mistake for us
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Todd -- are you listening???
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

We did the horse thing also. It was short lived and very expensive, so we switched to a cheaper live style and bought a boat.
F32 Fly 1975
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

Although currently limited to the mechanicals, like you I did a very, very expensive major refit to my International.

While there were numerous ways to JUSTIFY it, the easiest justification was that this is my "life" boat.

The first owner had her for 18 years, I'm now into my 16th year with her.

She's small enough to single handle and the distance between the shafts makes her go into any slip like butter.

She is large enough to do day trips and overnights in comfort with HVAC, flush toilet, fridges, icemaker, wetbar & galley.

Point is, this IS my LIFEBOAT.

Unless I make a windfall, or win the lottery, this is the boat I'll have until I am no longer capable.

I DO absolutely know what I have, every inch, nook, cranny, screw, bolt & hose.

I can't replace her for what I have in her, mechanicals & drivetrain - because she is as a new boat.

Add her timeless styling and fantastic hull design to the equation - I'd be a darn fool to sell her now.

Besides that, I'm 16 years older than when I started, and I don't really relish doing that all over again at age 58.

You ENJOYED that project - I know !

I hope you don't end up someday wishing you had kept her because you are past that point in your life to take on another project.

Not to mention the VALUE of your time well spent.

Sometimes a mechanic cuts corners. Oh, look what I found, look how this was wired, look how loose this was, etc.

You alone know how YOU did things.

I suggest you seriously take some time and consider ALL the aspects that come into play here.

There is MUCH MORE to consider in this equation than a 10 year old not wanting to play.

Best to you with the issues........

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Todd, I don't know how much this will help, but we bought our F36 last spring after 10 years with a much loved 25' bow rider. My teenage girls were about to kill me and were lukewarm about the boat my wife and I believe is the best fit for our family. After a couple of nights on the boat with a leaking head waste hose they never wanted to set foot on it again.

Well, I fixed the sanitation system to the point that the boat smells nice even when it has been closed for a couple of weeks. We talked our youngest into inviting a couple of her friends for a 3-day fall cruise and they had an absolute blast. Now, she cant wait for spring to invite her friends out again.

My point is that kids can be fickle at that age and it can take quite a bit of effort to determine what the underlying problem is and to address it. You know your family better than anyone, so I am sure you can best determine the appropriate course of action.

If I were in your situation, I would be keeping the boat, even if we had to use it as a day boat for a year or two. I like being able to run off to the boat and spend some time working on it and enjoying the peace it brings. When the family is on it, we are spending quality time together that I am sure our kids will remember fondly later in life. One of my boating buddies named his boat Memory Maker for that reason.

In any case, I followed your rebuild thread with much enjoyment and wish you the best as you go through this!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd, I've been there with my daughter who's now turning 16. We've gone through various phases of "she loves it, she hates it and everything else in between. Like RWS, I love my boat because I can single hand it and use it a lot by myself. That helps as I don't let the family's lack of interest at any particular time slow me down. Totally agree, bringing a friend is the ticket though, we cracked that code too.

If you don't need to free up cash right now, I would sit on it and maybe take the season off if you really want to. At this point, the value of the boat is not going change in the condition it's in....

It'll sell quick so I think everyone is saying to really think it through. Ugh, I know this must be really tough.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

You guys are absolutely amazing! I cant thank you enough for all of your the heartfelt responses. I really appreciate it!
Naturally you guys reaffirmed everything i have been thinking about including missing it down the road. I hate the idea of having her dry docked for another summer but shes inside ,safe and not costing me any money to sit where shes at. We still owe 2 years of payments but on the bright side we have already paid 13 yrs worth of them, Lol!
You guys have managed to thoroughly increase the difficulty of my decision! and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing that . At this point I'm inclined to sit on her for a bit until some of the "renovation Debt" gets paid off . Need to discuss it with the wife but I will keep you guys posted.
Thank You once again.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Todd, in case you want some more incentive, you should run this by your surveyor. I am pretty sure I know what he would say...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

WayWeGo wrote:Todd, in case you want some more incentive, you should run this by your surveyor. I am pretty sure I know what he would say...
+1

and when you have the "discussion" factor in the realistic selling price vs. her REPLACEMENT COST i.e. NEW BOAT

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner