Our 1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin - Before and After

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tdogg

Our 1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin - Before and After

Post by tdogg »

Thought I would share our 1987 F36 Tri-Cabin journey, some before and after photos. As we continue upgrades I'll be sure to upload and share.

This is our first boat, we have taken it for overnights, through the lifts and canals off Lake Simcoe in Ontario. impressed with the spacious interior for this size of boat, it was a key factor in our decision.

2015 upgrades:

- Main update last year was the flooring in the salon - using Vinyl waterproof planks (removed white carpeting that was throughout)

2016 planned upgrades:

- Larger Swim Platform - Template made and ordered - Install estimate April 15, 2016 (http://lescompositesmabernard.com/plateforme-ultra/)

- Sound system - custom built into the radar arch, with 2 x 12" subs and potentially an LED Projector (for movie nights on the water) 8)

- Batteries upgraded - thinking 2 x 8Ds (recommendations most welcome)

Future updates:

- Radar
- exterior deck and hull paint
- bow and aft cabins - vinyl floor
- cockpit floor update
- Hardtop conversion (preferably removable with camper top integration)
1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin
tdogg

Re: Our 1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin - Before and After

Post by tdogg »

Before photos - Part 1
20150713_102113.jpg
20150713_102113.jpg (177.76 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-005.jpg
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-005.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-006.jpg
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-006.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Hi Tdogg

welcome and best of luck on your boat, great looking boat!
Last edited by gettaway on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Interior Before pics
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-010.jpg
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-010.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-009.jpg
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-009.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-011.jpg
BoatDealers_ca-193870-Tro-011.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Before - Cockpit area
Cockpit 2.jpg
Cockpit 2.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
Cockpit 1.jpg
Cockpit 1.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Interior floor upgrade - Waterproof vinyl flooring :lol:
New Floor progress 1.jpg
New Floor progress 1.jpg (244.62 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
New Floor hatch.jpg
New Floor hatch.jpg (204.95 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
New Floor.jpg
New Floor.jpg (198.94 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

gettaway wrote:Hi Tdogg

welcome and best of luck on your boat, great looking boat!

Thank you gettaway. We are enjoying it tremendously. looking forward to this season, waiting for launch (mid April)
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Mock up for speaker system - thought is to weld aluminum, molded to the existing arch. in the middle thinking of installing an LED projector, debating if it would project to the Aft or the Bow. Screen could be mounted on the Aft railing, but viewing would be for those off the boat, not so much on it.

if it is facing the bow, a screen could be created to mount/stand in front. those on the bow would have a great vantage for watching a movie, etc.

decisions, decisions.

anyone see something like this?

your input most welcome.
Mock speaker location.jpg
Mock speaker location.jpg (97.47 KiB) Viewed 9167 times
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

So in the pics it looks like the only access to the engine room is through the one (or two) center hatches?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:So in the pics it looks like the only access to the engine room is through the one (or two) center hatches?

That's not good . you good access to the engines and other systems
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

And another thing -- I can suggest a 2016 upgrade for you: A legal anchor light!

I couldn't believe when I bought my boat brand new (plus, umm, 30 years give or take), that the anchor light didn't meet CG regs. With the canvas on, the anchor light can't be seen from behind.... Looks like you are, pardon the pun, in the same boat.

My solution was to head to We$t Marine and buy a white light on a pole. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... _-MB-_-PDP

The top pole fits into the existing anchor light pole. I wired the new light so that it is an all-around white light, and turned the stern light into a patio light for the swim platform. Plus the LED light doesn't suck as many amps as that heater that also produces light that came from the factory.

Boat is looking good. Here are some more remodeling ideas for you:

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ust#p87107

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ter#p82343
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Thank you Pdogg.

The light is a definite, was planning to upgrade to LED. Thank you for the links I'll check them out. When anchored overnight I placed an LED lamp on the radar arch so it could be seen all-round, but just a temporary thing.

Yes one hatch for the engines. But the floor is snap together vinyl, if needed it can be lifted.

I have upgraded the salon lightbulbs to LED bulbs, planning to upgrade the remaining lights as well. Any suggestions?

-Tdogg
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Two thoughts , First P-dogg is right on with regards to the anchor/forward running light . its in a really poor place and a distraction when the running lights are on . I took a slighting different approach as I have hard top . I put the same type on the hard top and remove the old light . You could do the same as you have the radar arch .

tdogg wrote:Thank you Pdogg.

The light is a definite, was planning to upgrade to LED. Thank you for the links I'll check them out. When anchored overnight I placed an LED lamp on the radar arch so it could be seen all-round, but just a temporary thing.

Yes one hatch for the engines. But the floor is snap together vinyl, if needed it can be lifted.

I have upgraded the salon lightbulbs to LED bulbs, planning to upgrade the remaining lights as well. Any suggestions?

-Tdogg
As far as the floor how easy will the floor come up ? Can you easily get to what you need ? Like oil fills /filters /coolant /belts /hoses/ batteries trans fluids ? Give some thought to this . Its a boat ,things break :|
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

prowlersfish wrote:Two thoughts , First P-dogg is right on with regards to the anchor/forward running light . its in a really poor place and a distraction when the running lights are on . I took a slighting different approach as I have hard top . I put the same type on the hard top and remove the old light . You could do the same as you have the radar arch .

As far as the floor how easy will the floor come up ? Can you easily get to what you need ? Like oil fills /filters /coolant /belts /hoses/ batteries trans fluids ? Give some thought to this . Its a boat ,things break :|

I like the idea of placing the light on the radar arch, where did you place it? Middle, side? If I were to out a radar on it, what would be the best way?

As for your hardtop, is it a tri-cabin as well?

Access is pretty good under, I had to do an Impeller replacement on the water, and it was good. Spark plugs, oil, etc changed without issue.

The batteries are in a battery box in the engine "room", so easily accessible. What type of battery setup do you have? how long does it provide you power for without needing the generator/engines started?

I would like to achieve a 2-3 day power storage - hoping the change to LEDs, etc will assist with that. That 2-3 day would not include the use of the enhanced sound system obviously, but would be good to have for basic radio, lights, water and toilets.

greatly appreciate the feedback and recommendations.

- TDogg
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mines not a tri ,its a F36 conv. Ancour light is centered on the rear of the hard top ( no arch ) . If your going with radar you can get a radar mount with a light on it .

Battery wise I have 2 4D cranking batteries . No issues on the hook for 3days . But I don.t have much 12 volt load . Just light (no leds ) water pump head pumps that's it . Anything else is AC so I run the gen. as needed .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels