11 meter new radius window!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

11 meter new radius window!

Post by Jimmy »

Thought I'd post the new corner windows on the 11 meter. The picture shows the old cracked and faded, and the new is all in and crystal clear. Used lexan custom made to match the old ones. A bit pricy, but look great.
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.58 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: 11 meter new radius window!

Post by Barrie »

The new lexan looks good,
How did they duplicate the shape? did they use the old window as a mold?
I have to replace my visor on my try fly and was curious how to duplicate the shape
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks, and yes, I brought them the originals, they made exact replicas ( but with Lexan). Had them made by Pro Glass in Illinois.

He had them done in less than a week. Fit perfectly. I also replaced the butyl rubber tape, and put in all new edging obtained from Taylor Made. A chore, but worth it.

BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Replacing all of my rubber window trim is on my to do list. I repolish my corner with a headlight polishing kit every few years so I'm not at the replacement stage yet.

On the trim, how were you able to make the miters at the corners? Seems like it would be hard to get nice tight joints without some sort of "jig". Maybe I'm overthinking it...

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

You are correct on the trim. I used a VERY sharp razor knife to cut the trim. You can never get it perfect, so my plan is to seal this with black rtv caulk. I did cut the trim slightly longer than it needs to be. This is for two reasons. 1. I assume the trim will shrink with age like the original did. 2. The extra length allowed the corners to push tightly together and make a nice tight fit. A friend once told me when building a house "do your best, caulk the rest". I dont really like to live by that motto, however there are times when it is used. This is one of those times. Hoping to find an adhesive vs caulk, but for now it is pretty snug.

The new windows made an incredible difference. I didn't realize how bad the originals were until replaced. They were beyond polishing. They were full of micro cracks, and large stress cracks.

By the way, I bought like 100 ft of the trim rubber. Gonna replace the glass window trim as well. So hope we both have success with that.

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Jimmy wrote:Hoping to find an adhesive vs caulk, but for now it is pretty snug.
How about 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive like used on automobile windshields? You can get it in black. http://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-We ... B00063X38M
Last edited by WayWeGo on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

I already have the weather strip, just need to seal up the jounts. Hoping to find a quality adhesive that works on the rubber/vinyl.

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

The link I gave is to an adhesive designed to work with weatherstrip, but it did not seem to work, so I updated it. Should be working now!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Ok thanks, ill check it out!

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Taylor made reccomended NOT to use an adhesive..... They said melt it together, when they supply windows with trim, that is what they do. So..... First a test piece. Plan is to use a very thin chunk of sheet metal, heat it with a hand torch, pull up both corners of the seam from the window, cover the lexan with MULTIPLE layers of tin foil, (suckers were expensive), and hold the corners at the same time against the metal as close to their location as possible to "wet" the ends, this should give the right angle being they are in contact with the hot metal at the same angle, then pull away, and press the corners together and let cool. Once corners are 'one', then stuff the corner in it's place first, and work each section in working away from the corner, remember, I left the material long to allow for some shrink as it ages. It does stretch and compress to some degree.

Ill let you know how that goes....

glen

Post by glen »

I have a 1990 12 meter and am trying to find replacement corner windows ,mine have hazed out, so I guess they are Lexan. Do you have a source? Glen
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Sorry for late reply, read farther up the post. Pro glass in Illinois. Google it as I am not home to supply contact info. Windows still look like new