New Enclosure Installed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

New Enclosure Installed

Post by rickalan35 »

When I stopped by the marina yesterday to repair a loose handle, I discovered that the new enclosure I'd ordered had been installed.

It looks great. (Of course it does)

Here are my questions:
1. They used the original fasteners (snaps and button fasteners)
2. It seems pretty tight

I've given them a $2,000 deposit and still owe them a healthy cheque.

Is it normal to use the original fastening hardware? Some of the button fasteners are not in great shape.

The original fasteners are riveted for the most part, with stainless rivets.

Should a new enclosure be a potential fingernail puller? (Is this done purposefully because it will stretch out, over the first couple of weeks?)

Thks

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Enclosure Installed

Post by prowlersfish »

Not abnormal to reuse old fasteners on the boat . If riveted removng them would be time consuming and add $$$ to the price
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Okay, thanks.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:Not abnormal to reuse old fasteners on the boat . If riveted removng them would be time consuming and add $$$ to the price
+1 Tight is usually better than loose, as things will stretch a bit with use, and if too lose may allow sag that will hold rain water and eventually leak through. Also stretch / shrinkage behavior depends on fabric used and whether it is all canvas or also has windows (isinglass or other) ... what were the covers made from (Sunbrella, WeatherMax 80, Stamoid, other) and how much isinglass do you have?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Captain, this is a 370 express and it has the usual amount of isinglass as viewed in whatever photos of this boat you might have seen before. This enclosure, like the one before it is made with stamoid. I like the fact that it never leaks. The fact that stamoid doesn't breathe isn't a factor for me. We take the sides off on hot days out on the water and it doesn't matter that the top doesn't breathe.

But the fact that the Captain thinks it'll stretch a bit with use is the answer I was hoping for. The top section isn't tight. The side curtains are tightly fastened to former snaps along the sides and transom, imo. If they loosen up a litle, I'm fine. That being said, I haven't yet taken the whole thing down yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow. If it loosens up a little on the sides, I'll be ok.

We all know that these enclosures shrink over time, especially isinglass - so I just didn't think I wanted to begin tight, right from the start.

Thks

Rick
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

I've been slowly replacing all my old hardware on my F32. To the point that my crappy tarnished canvas fasteners were looking too bad to ignore any longer.
This company sells first rate replacements at great prices.
http://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardware/Fa ... -and-Hooks
They should have everything you need.

Spend the few dollars to follow up on your investment..
Real happy I did it!!!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I believe Stamoid stretches less than canvas products do over time and with rain / moisture, but may stretch a bit more with sun. Over time it will probably work out. Worst case scenario there are "snap fastener extenders" such as this one you can get to give a bit more flexibility if things are too tight. They give you about 1".

Oops... just noticed may be doubling up on Scorpion07's post by pointing you to Sailrite as well.

http://www.sailrite.com/Product%20Image ... sizew=1000
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Thanks. :)
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

When my complete canvas enclosures installed the removed all old fastners (all were screwed in). They used the same holes but new stainless snap fittings, I would want new just because I am getting a new canvas enclosure. That said old ones most likely will work fine. Note "most likely" :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bigrgh

Post by bigrgh »

get a tube of snap and zipper lube it works fantastic!
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

In my case, some of my rear deck button fasteners are in semi-rough shape (well attached to boat but with a wobbly "button) but they were left in-place. I haven't been back yet to climb around the entire front deck in order to see if they sacrificed a few snaps where necessary that they thought were in bad shape or if they used all of the old ones everywhere. Certainly, the cockpit area is totally connected to the old fasteners.