1979 F25 list/Handling problems- HELP

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wolfe99

1979 F25 list/Handling problems- HELP

Post by wolfe99 »

Hello,
I recently purchased and re stored a F25. I took her out on the first voyage , and it got pretty scary. The Boat seems to list port side pretty bad when increasing RPM. I also had some serious Bow steer that flung the stern around, which scared the heck out of the passengers that were with me... This was kind of embarrassing for me, because it made me nervous as well. Please any help would be great. On plane the bow is really high it seems, and now Im afraid to use the tabs because of the bow steer. Boat is cruising around 16mph at 2900 RPM. Can I counter weight the cabin to get list more stable?? Thanks for the help everyone. This is my first Trojan , but 4th boat and never experienced this before.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1979 F25 list/Handling problems- HELP

Post by captainmaniac »

For the bow steer, it sounds like your tabs were trimmed down to far, or you have too much weight up forward. Your comments about bow being high while on plane, and listing and having bow steer at higher speeds, seem to be a contradiction...

For the list, I am wondering if maybe only one of the tabs is working and the other is either nor moving, or not moving at the same rate... (starboard tab down and port tab up will cause a port list). With the boat in the slip, bring both tabs all the way up and visually check where they are, then give it 2-3 seconds of down tab and see where both tabs sit. Are the they the same, or is one lower than the other? Try another 2-3 seconds of down tab and check again. Full up to full down (or vice versa) is usually about 7-10 seconds.

If listing at higher speeds and it is not the tabs, the hull may be mis-shaped from not being blocked right or improper trailer.

My money is on the tabs though. Too much paint, or something binding the 'hinge', or a leaking hydraulic hose or cracked cylinder could do that to you.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree with Capt M . One other thought what about the placement of passengers ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Since you say the list increases with increasing rpm I would agree that the trim tabs are the most likely cause. Regarding the bow being high while underway these boats do cruise with the bow higher than an outboard or sterndrive powered boat. When I'm coming up onto plane I usually depress the trim tab bow down buttons for about 6 seconds. After the boat stabilizes I'll make slight adjustments to maximize my speed. Typical cruise speed for these boats is ~ 18 mph at 3000 rpm. I typically run between 3000 and 3100 rpm. These are not speed boats.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I agree with Captainmaniac on the trim tabs so I wont' reiterate. I can however inform you that these boats are prone to what you referred to as bow steer in a following sea. Waves from behind tend to push the stern of these boats around and you also loose a portion of rudder control due to water flowing the opposite direction across it. Boat wake from a passing boat can also have the same effect when it hits you on the stern quarter. The best way to avoid this issue when in a following sea is to cruise bow high ,tabs up but not quite all the way, and "shovel the coal to it". In other words, be sure that you're applying enough throttle to be moving faster than the waves. With a little practice you'll learn the best tab positions. As for a boat passing you and its wake approaching you from behind, as it gets close turn into it and cross it as opposed to letting it cross under you.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the Trojan family.

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
wolfe99

Post by wolfe99 »

All,
Thank you for help. I did in fact have the tabs down to far. I wasnt sure of the bow angle with this boat and had 3 others in the boat with me , two sitting in the back . As far as the listing . I found that it was at the dock as well. So i figured if i filled the fresh water tank that is on the stern side it will help balance with the port having the head, sink, fridge etc....
bigdave603

Post by bigdave603 »

Also if you have 2 fuel tanks make sure they're close to equal.