Where's my windless solenoid?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

7421f

Where's my windless solenoid?

Post by 7421f »

My Seawolf 520 has stopped working. The dreaded solenoid click. Problem is, I have been unable to find it. I've looked in the anchor locker with a mirror and light, but no luck. I didn't how to access from anywhere else. surely someone amongst us has knowledge of where it's at. I'd be appreciative if you would enlighten me.
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Re: Where's my windless solenoid?

Post by Jimmy »

I have an 88 11 meter but have a good windlass. All my solenoids were located on a bracket that was part of the windlass mounting. Access was through the anchor locker. I do not have experience with the seawolf, but assume they all work off the same 3 solenoid system? Try the Seawolf website to see what the wiring is like. That should show you more what to look for.

Sorry not more help. Good luck.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

There is a post by Tcollins2 a few weeks ago that may help.

User avatartcollins2
2016 Forum Supporter
2016 Forum Supporter
Re: SeaWolf Windlass 520
Unread postby tcollins2 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:49 pm

Found it! Well thanks to some electrical drawings Bob sent me I found the solenoid. Hiding in plain sight. It's behind the starboard motor next to the battery charger. Need to get behind the motor and look forward to read it. The solenoid looks like the average run of the mill solenoid, not what I had seen from other website data. I have no power to it. So I think I have a bad switch in the panel. I didn't have my tester with me, so the investigation continues. You can make out the word windlass written on the wire.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
thelast322

Post by thelast322 »

Hello 7421f ,

Sounds like you are on the right path. Trace the main conductor power source from your batteries, panel or dedicated circuit breaker to the windlass. Some of the boats "and code dedicates" that it should have a over-current fuse or circuit breaker very close to the power source. Make sure that it is hot and it sending you 12 volts to your windlass. I know through past experience I would hear the click but have no power to the windlass. The reason was the 1st mate never did a proper check to make sure the power panel was ready before "shifting colors" we got underway. :D

Butch
"Liberty Call"

1991 F32 Crusaders
celebrating 10+years of ownership