End of Season Has Come

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

End of Season Has Come

Post by rickalan35 »

Hello all,

Well, the extended drought here in my area of Canada has finally reached the point whereby water levels are too low for safe boating. We simply must have enough water to float these things, right? I sounded my covered slip yesterday and found a water level of four feet two inches of water at the transom and at the bow. Since that is exactly what I draw, I'm arranging to have my boat pulled this week, literally a month early. Three other boaters in my marina have already done so.

Although the water further out in Rideau Lake is over three hundred feet deep in places, the marinas are located near the small town of Portland in a shallow bay near a major highway. Thus the drought conditions have effected boating.

Unfortunately, the low water levels mean we won't be able to view the autumn colors from the water. We usually have a couple of traditional fall colors/hot chocolate cruises that we do with friends.... but I guess not this time around.

Looking back on this short season, I did indeed manage to get the boat to a point that I'm relatively satisfied with. This was our second season as new owners of Heather Ann 111 and since I had shingles for three months last summer, it could be said that last year was a write off (by the way, my advice is for all of you to go pay the money and get the shingles vaccine shot)

This summer we managed to complete a full tuning of the engines (including rebuilding the carbs). This boat was previously a fifteen year dock queen and although the hours are low, it required the usual work that non-usage incurs. Both engines are now running at full rpm's. Electronics are all working, sticking push buttons replaced and we also installed a new vacuflush toilet to replace the former cracked one. We spent some money on a brand new enclosure and are happy with the results and I also had the marina install a rudder indicator.

As some of you may have noted in my earlier post "Battery Wars", I'm not happy with my current battery arrangement. It may indeed be how it came from the factory but it simply doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I plan a complete makeover of that system, but I suppose it'll have to wait till the spring.

That's the story from here on the Rideau Lakes.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: End of Season Has Come

Post by zedtwentyate »

The season has just about ended for us too. I have to haul out early so I can start working on her before the snow flies!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Thanksgiving is when I haul, and you draw over 4ft? what kind of boat is that? my F32 draws 2 feet 6 inches
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

K4

Trojan 370 express
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Haul out for me is this Saturday. It was a good season. Hopefully we'll have many more together.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Not here in Texas, plenty of water and is 96 degree, still summer here. :D

Last year we had the lake 6 feet over a 2000 long emergency spillway and had to use water taxi to get to docs. What changes.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink