murky, dirt filled water

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Svend
Sporadic User

murky, dirt filled water

Post by Svend »

As the season on my lake comes to a close and water levels are super low, i noticed when i went out the other day, the water behind me was all murky brown and looked like it was a mixture of water and fine silt/mud...

what effect does this have on engine cooling?
is there a filter for water coming in? (of something like a 1977 F30 Express Trojan)
I know when i am out on the lake, i get clean water coming into engines for cooling, but the above concerns me...

thanks for your thoughts on this!

Svend
1977 Trojan F30 Express, With Dual 318's with Electronic Ignition
Raymarine EV 100 Auto Pilot
Paul
Active User

Re: murky, dirt filled water

Post by Paul »

Svend,

If you have a strainers on your water intakes, it will usually only filter out weeds etc but not sand and silt. Cruising at elevated RPMs the sand and silt will likely flow right thru your open cooling systems. At lower RPMs however, it can tend to settle in the bottom of the water jackets in your block and manifolds. I would suggest that when you open the drains on the engines and manifolds to get the water out for winter, if you get slow or no drain to probe the hole with a piece of wire or something similar to clear any sand or mud that may be blocking the drain.

Another negative effect of churning up allot of sand or silt is that as your water pumps suck it up, it can be pretty rough on your impellers, pump housings and cutless bearings. I think about this every time that I see a boat pulling right up to a beach.

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Svend
Sporadic User

Post by Svend »

great thoughts Paul

is there a better filter I could install since i am going at low speeds most the time... 5-9 mph

thanks!

Svend
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Anything finer than a typical strainer would clog up, better to have dirty water cooling your engines that non at all. :wink:
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Svend
Sporadic User

Post by Svend »

lol... good point...

guess better to stay away from that water... and do the checks like you mentioned ;-)

thanks

Svend
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Sounds likes a typical day boating on the Mississippi River. Looking at the other posts looks like I should find cleaner water to boat in.
1981 10 meter Trojan International