Msd ignition

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

44Ydnar88

Msd ignition

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

Hey all, just wondering if anyone here has veered away from the Mopar module and ran an aftermarket ignition system, if so, any benefits? Thanks, oh and still wondering about the 8 holes above my galley sink :D
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Re: Msd ignition

Post by Diverted Income »

MSD ignition is good stuff. Use a marine dizzy in my 502 Ford w/ a 6AL box and a dizzy and box on my CJ-5. Distributor is similar to Ford Duraspark. If you need a reverse rotation you may be out of luck. They don't do that for GM anyway. ( mechanical advance can't be reversed) Simple to work on and wire.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Diverted Income wrote:MSD ignition is good stuff. Use a marine dizzy in my 502 Ford w/ a 6AL box and a dizzy and box on my CJ-5. Distributor is similar to Ford Duraspark. If you need a reverse rotation you may be out of luck. They don't do that for GM anyway. ( mechanical advance can't be reversed) Simple to work on and wire.
Reverse rotation is no issue on a GM . The dist. still turns the same way as normal rotation .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote:
Diverted Income wrote:MSD ignition is good stuff. Use a marine dizzy in my 502 Ford w/ a 6AL box and a dizzy and box on my CJ-5. Distributor is similar to Ford Duraspark. If you need a reverse rotation you may be out of luck. They don't do that for GM anyway. ( mechanical advance can't be reversed) Simple to work on and wire.
Reverse rotation is no issue on a GM . The dist. still turns the same way as normal rotation .
+1
The difference is the gear.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:
+1
The difference is the gear.
Big D please correct me or add to this as I may not remember it all correctly .

Many GM use a timing gear instead of a chain so the Cam and Dist end up spinning the normal way , others Use a different cam/dist gear so the dist ends up spinning the same . Chris craft even ran one engine off the front the other normally to get oppose rotation ( flagship ran both off the front) DD did it 4 different ways on the 671 and don't get me started on Perkins counter rotation (every thing including the oil and injection pump was backwards ).

Thank fully they got smart and started using the gear boxes gassers like they have on diesels for many years before
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Some use single timing gear or a chain, or 2 and 3 gears. Depending on the configuration is what determines if a reverse rotation cam is required and a different distributor/gear. Some need to reverse the pistons 180* plus all the other usual hardware like starter, main seal, etc. Some need the crank replaced. Merc for example will have different part numbers for the cranks. If I remember correctly, it's the way the oil passages are cut.

I remember the first time I worked on a CC's output off the front end. Nobody told me about that one! Imagine the fun I had trying to time this thing off what I thought was #1 cylinder only to realize a couple of hours later that I was trying to time off #8. The idea to run it off the front was certainly thinking out of the box! I get a kick out of watching the younglings try to time them now :wink:

Thank God the newer stuff doesn't turn the wrong way anymore.
44Ydnar88

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

Thanks for the replies, I'm keeping the prestolite idh-7002 distributer, I have a reverse rotation 318, a replacement distributer apparently doesn't exist anymore, hurrikain has one, but appears to be a rebadged pertronix for ALOT. last season had some ignition gremlins. I feel an msd box with full 12v will simplify things a bit, considered this,
HEIModuleAdapterSmall.jpg
HEIModuleAdapterSmall.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Interesting , That is a GM type ignition module on a plate .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
44Ydnar88

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

Typical GM 4 terminal HEI, the aluminum plate acts as the heat sink, the GM module requires a full 12v to fire, so would need a relay in the start circuit. AC Delco modules are about 40$. The Chrysler pick up will trigger the module. Any reason not too?
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

44Ydnar88 wrote:Typical GM 4 terminal HEI, the aluminum plate acts as the heat sink, the GM module requires a full 12v to fire, so would need a relay in the start circuit. AC Delco modules are about 40$. The Chrysler pick up will trigger the module. Any reason not too?
Had a friend do a gm HEI marine conversion (newer type) and it never ran good ( for long ) . That style normally was used in a dist. with both mech and vacuum advance not sure you would get full advance . Is this even ok for marine use ? I always felt the stock Mopar electronic system was one of the best . I would stay with it . Be careful and make sure to use marine rated/approved ignition parts .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
44Ydnar88

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

DSC_2039_zpsd673c996.jpg
DSC_2039_zpsd673c996.jpg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
DSC_2039_zpsd673c996.jpg
DSC_2039_zpsd673c996.jpg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Are the replacement Chrysler ECU ignition protected? Sierra # 18-5105
Attachments
DSCN0431.JPG
DSCN0431.JPG (143.79 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

With Sierra being a major and reputable marine parts suppler . I would feel safe that their products meet necessary specs . Some interesting fixes in your photos . But being a boat I would do it right or not at all but that's me .

That's for reminding me how nice compression ignition is . :D
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
44Ydnar88

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

Thx, had did this discussion with my brother today, his words" throw a set of points in it and be done with it"
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That will work , Of course that means finding some old marine dist.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

44Ydnar88 wrote:[attachment=1]...Are the replacement Chrysler ECU ignition protected? Sierra # 18-5105
Yes

You never mentioned the symptoms you're having. Rather than throw a bunch of parts at a system that has a pretty good rap for dependable operation, maybe some diagnostics are in order to narrow down the source of the symptoms.