Automatic Fire Extinguish System

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Automatic Fire Extinguish System

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Any one replace there old system recently. My 76 F32 probably has the original if not very old system. I have had the boat for 5 years. Don't know much about what is there. It is a Fireboy. For safety sake I think it is time to replace. Toronto Boat Show starts this Friday. Some feedback would help as to what I should and should not be looking for.

Yah and the sniffer does not work either.

Thanks Ken
F32 Fly 1975
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Automatic Fire Extinguish System

Post by El L Sea »

Mine is and 80's vintage Halon. I pulled it and took it to a fire extinguisher shop, where he weighed and checked it. It passed and he said as long as it keeps checking out every year or two, there is no need to replace it. He even said the older ones put out fires better, but the EPA changed their rules for new units.
Fireboy.jpg
Fireboy.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

It might help if you let us know exactly which one you currently have. Fully automatic, auto/manual, remote/helm monitoring, etc. As mentioned above, the best thing to do is take it to a shop that can test to see if it is still full but the weight will give you an idea if there is anything in it. If you have a monitor at the helm and it's giving you an alarm, the sensors on the tanks sometimes fail.

Take as much info off the current unit as you can before you head to the show if you're planning on buying one. You'll also need to know the volume of the engine compartment. If the current one was speced properly, it'll lead you to the volume spec you need for the new one.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

There is a monitor at the lower helm for both the Fireboy and the sniffer, neither appear to be working and no monitors at the upper helm. I only drive from the upper helm so i need something up there. Can not get on boat until launch.

Thanks for the info.
F32 Fly 1975
snowman

Post by snowman »

I have the halon automatic bottles on board, our local experts would not touch them with a ten foot pole LOL Replacements are available but not cheap

http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/marine-fi ... g-systems/
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

We bought our 41' President in Virginia in September 2015. The halon had not been checked in many years. It is a very large system, I forget right now how big, but the current replacement would cost about $1500+. The surveyor dinged it on not being currently inspected. Due to distance from home, I asked the marina to get it certified by a licensed company. They took it and had it checked, cost me about $60 if I recall. No problem, checked fine. The company had no issue with checking it and signing the tag. As long as it is in good condition, no rust, etc and is the proper weight, it should be fine. If it does discharge, there is no refilling it due to the halon. Then I will have to buy a new one. But if it does go off, replacing it will be one of the least concerns that I will have.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Halon is one of if not the best fire fighting equipment you can get. It stops the 4th property of fire the chemical reaction. You can sell the halon on the net. It is so good they did have it on Air Force One.

I would have it checked and re-install.

The other plus is that it does not leave a mess of purple K powder or other residue if used.

And like refrigerant 12 and 22 you can no longer get it due to, ahm, global warming. :?
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink