Our 1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin - Before and After

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Our 1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin - Before and After

Post by P-Dogg »

basic radio, lights, water and toilets.
Curious what you're doing for fridge (and coffee) 72 hours w/o AC.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Great point P-Dogg.

Yea fridge is 12v, coffee is 120v (definitely need to start Gen for coffee). And yes AC as required, but not always necessary.

So the 4D batteries are for your House batteries, what do you have for your engines? Same?
1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

tdogg wrote:Great point P-Dogg.

Yea fridge is 12v, coffee is 120v (definitely need to start Gen for coffee). And yes AC as required, but not always necessary.

So the 4D batteries are for your House batteries, what do you have for your engines? Same?
On my boat the 2 4D cranking batteries are the Engine batteries that also take care on the house that's all I use small bat for the genset only . My fridge is not 12 volt . so my loads are very light . I need the cranking batteries because of the diesels .

I think P-dogg uses a cranking and deep cycle battery as He is I believe more 12 volt dependent .( I use the genset a lot ) He has put a lot of thought and research in to his set up and can give you some good advice.

One thing stay away from the dual purpose batteries . If you need cranking battery get one if your need a deep cycle get one .Most likely you need a combo of both .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Thank you prowlersfish.

How high off the radar arch does it have to be? I think I'll be doing a radar next year, if I do it. Is it worth having?

- Tdogg
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Is it worth having?
Depends when you boat. In the rain? At night? Want a different way to spot navaids? Do you want to spot birds circling a bait pod? Do you want to increase the resale value of your boat? Or increase its -- let's face it -- coolness factor? Want your boat to sell faster when it is time for you or your estate to liquidate it? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you might be a candidate for radar.

Adding radar is on my list of upgrades, but based on how I use my boat, it is not near the top.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

tdogg wrote:Interior floor upgrade - Waterproof vinyl flooring :lol:
New Floor progress 1.jpg
New Floor hatch.jpg
New Floor.jpg
tdogg, your boat looks great! like the flooring a lot!
I love the idea of the "multi media" tower :). I might just steal that one :D
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

P-Dogg, definitely want the coolness factor! Lol

Will see.

Barrie - thought it would be a cool way to entertain guests and other vessels :-) where do you boat out of?

- Tdogg
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

tdogg wrote:P-Dogg, definitely want the coolness factor! Lol

Will see.

Barrie - thought it would be a cool way to entertain guests and other vessels :-) where do you boat out of?

- Tdogg
I had my 25' Cruiser Inc in Port Stanley on lake Erie at the Lions Landing Marina last year.
They can't handle anything larger then 25' so I will have the Trojan at Killins' across the river.

You?
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Barrie wrote:
I had my 25' Cruiser Inc in Port Stanley on lake Erie at the Lions Landing Marina last year.
They can't handle anything larger then 25' so I will have the Trojan at Killins' across the river.

You?

We are out of Lefroy Harbour in Simcoe.
Judd

Post by Judd »

I have a 79 Tri-Cabin and was thinking about doing a similar floor. Thank you for posting this because I am now sold on the idea. Also glad I saw your cabin shots mine has 2 beds instead of 1 like yours in the cabin and I have been toying with the idea of switching it to 1 bed.
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Judd wrote:I have a 79 Tri-Cabin and was thinking about doing a similar floor. Thank you for posting this because I am now sold on the idea. Also glad I saw your cabin shots mine has 2 beds instead of 1 like yours in the cabin and I have been toying with the idea of switching it to 1 bed.
Thank you Judd.

Love the floor, going to post some photos of the new swim platform (4' deep by 11' wide) :-). All composite from Platform Ultra in Quebec. They now have our template which could be modified for many of the Trojans.

Cheers,

TDogg
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

tdogg wrote:
Barrie wrote:

You?

We are out of Lefroy Harbour in Simcoe.
Great place to be. Jeff, Ryan, Linda,..all good people. :wink:
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

Looking forward to the new season.

Wasn't able to get all the upgrades done that I wanted to. Unfortunately wasn't able to spend as much time on the boat last year's as we would have liked to.

But this is a new year. Definitely will post more pictures as I get things completed. The first order of business is installing the audio and spreader system.

Going to go with a simplified install of wakeboard speakers custom mounted to the arch and on the sun deck (deck above the galley/cabin).

Already have the speakers, AMPs and wiring. Just need time and beer :-)

Oh and need to get a sub box with 2 - 12" subs to install in the engine room :-)

90% of the time the speakers will just be run off the head unit. But I'll definitely be able to drive the party tunes and beats at a sandbar! Wooohooo!

- TDogg
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

I forgot to upload the new swim platform that we had installed in May 2016, there was a delay and size correction required. But it finally arrived and was installed. It's awesome, such a difference. As you can see, we went from a 20/24" deep platform to a 48" deep composite platform. At 11.5' wide, it's a much more usable area and a great hangout area.

Here is a collage, I will upload a before and after to provide more details for those interested.

129182.jpeg
129182.jpeg (135.58 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

52594.jpeg
52594.jpeg (194 KiB) Viewed 6738 times