Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by jimbo36 »

Great work Barrie and thanks for visiting me at the Toronto Boat Show. Good to see you. Jim. 8)
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

All those years I struggled with that hatch of my former Tri. Where were you when I needed you!!

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Barrie, I just read through all 12 pages of thread again for a morale boost. Hope things are progressing nicely for you!
Currently Trojan-less :?
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

You guys are my heroes.

All that progress is making me a bit ashamed over my meager results. I have lots of parts accumulated, but need to get focused on the actual work!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I hear THAT...

I live on my project and make less headway. But I did finally chuck my genset install a HD inverter , battery bank and solar controller, rewire the rats nests that I could reach, ordered an automatic/spin washer, rebuild flybridge radar mount all this winter. When visitors come over people remark "not much progress, huh?" :roll:
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

oil&water wrote:Barrie, I just read through all 12 pages of thread again for a morale boost. Hope things are progressing nicely for you!
Ha Ha! I hope to help anyway I can :)

I'm going to have some new up dates soon. I don't mind if it stays winter like for a couple more months :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks WayWeGo and Misty, I know the pain, sometimes I plan 1 hour for a job next thing you know it's dark outside and you haven't eaten anything all day...that makes me grumpy!

If I can get to the point that I have a boat like either of yours , I'm going to be a happy campy

We just accepted an offer on our house yesterday ($5000 over asking price) and will soon be homeless for the summer if I don't get the boat in the water in a couple months :shock: :shock: :shock:

Exciting times!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I call that "extra motivation"!

My goal launch date is sometime around May 10th. That will give me a month for shake down before I am on the water all summer.
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Goals is good. Otherwise the project has no milestones and is like one never-ending slog. Its a fun neurotic state feeling simultaneously totally exhausted, relaxed content and thinking "wait maybe I'll just take that thing I just finished apart again, install it backwards and upside down and my life will be muuuch better!" :o
Plus its a great way to maximize the all too short Canadian summer.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Barrie wrote:will soon be homeless for the summer if I don't get the boat in the water in a couple months
Now that is real incentive!

I promised our family that we would do a week long trip on the Bay this summer as a graduation present for our girls who are four years apart. When one graduated from 8th grade and the other from high school four years ago, we chartered a boat in the Abacos and had a wonderful time. This year, one is graduating from high school and the other from college. Both have worked hard and done an excellent job with their studies, so the gauntlet has been thrown down for us to have an even better trip this year. Now all I have to do is fix a bunch of things on the boat so they have a good time!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That sounds like a great reward, fun for the whole family :) That I'm sure makes a lot of great memories.

I really need to have forced deadlines to keep a project moving along :roll:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I’ve been slaving away on the project all winter but seems there’s very little progress 
I’ve done some more work in the galley. Installed fixtures and some stain and clear coat.

Flooring is mostly done in the salon.

Received back my counter clockwise short block engine for starboard side.
I had to be a little creative to get it back in and then reassemble it.

I installed the cockpit floor, I’m pretty happy with the result. I’m not going to say right now what it’s made of, but it’s less than $100

I replaced the wood dash. The original was rotten from water leaking at the windshield
And started sanding, staining and clearing all the teak and mahogany trim and doors.

We've sold our house and will be homeless June 14th, so I have 6 weeks to get the boat in the water and operational so my wife and I can live on it.
I've got to get cracking!

Thanks for all the great comments and info so far.
I've been involved with car clubs and gun clubs for lots of years, but the boating community is by far the friendliest and most helpful group of people I've run into

Thanks
Attachments
headliner.jpg
headliner.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 8827 times
Last edited by Barrie on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Looking good!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Barrie, you are kicking butt and taking names! That is awesome work and makes me feel bad for the little I have accomplished. Keep up the good work!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Barrie wrote:

I installed the cockpit floor, I’m pretty happy with the result. I’m not going to say right now what it’s made of, but it’s less than $100

Not often that you get something that big done for just one boat dollar.

Keep at it!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!