Installing Stern Thruster

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Re: Installing Stern Thruster

Post by The Dog House »

The Vetus 2512 can be used with a transom up to 1 inch thick and the Vetus 3512 can be used with a transom up to 3/4 inches thick. Does anyone know how thick the Trojan F26 transom is below the waterline? I know the hull bottom is 1 1/4 inches thick, but hopefully the transom will be thinner. Thanks for any information you can provide.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

On my F36 the transom is only about 3/8 thick at the points I have holes or cut ( and that's a lot of places lol). All above the water line . When I haul out I will be enlarging the exhaust so I will know more .

Of course its not the same boat as yours . Only a drill will tell you for sure . I believe the Vetus will be a harder install then the others . It seems to be a bow thruster adapted to stern use . Add the case for ignition protection it could be a very hard install .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote:
Of course its not the same boat as yours . Only a drill will tell you for sure . I believe the Vetus will be a harder install then the others . It seems to be a bow thruster adapted to stern use . Add the case for ignition protection it could be a very hard install .
I agree the Side-Power stern thruster is a more elegant solution. The Side-Power stern thruster, however, would cost ~ $6,500 just in parts. I would need to install it myself. I do feel confident that I could install it, though.

The Vetus stern thruster will cost ~ $2,500 in parts. I will also need to pay for installation since I do not feel comfortable installing it myself. It will very much depend on what Florida Bow Thruster charges for installation. If the total cost for the Vetus stern thruster (parts and installation) is ~ $4,000, its hard to justify paying the extra $2,500. If the total cost is more than that, some decisions will need to be made.

There is plenty of room on the inside of my boat for the installation of the electric motor. The 1971 F26 has the V drive engine with a huge engine room. The outside of the boat is where things are tight. With only a 5 degrees deadrise there is not much draft from the waterline to the bottom of the hull. The Vetus 2512 tunnel would easily fit underneath my swim platform. Both the Vetus 3512 tunnel and Side-Power stern thruster would barely fit. That's why I prefer the Vetus 2512 setup, but I will go to one of the other options if the Vetus 2512 is not powerful enough.

The other thing that concerns me with the Side-Power stern thruster is repair and replacement. I would be using 3M 5200 to mount it to the transom of the boat. If something went wrong with the electric motor, it would be very difficult to repair or replace. The Vetus electric motor is inside the boat and can be separated from the propeller/tunnel. Repairing and/or replacing the Vetus electric motor is much easier. Call me the optimist, but I'm always thinking about the "what ifs".

Which way I go will ultimately depend on the quote I get from Florida Bow Thruster and/or other bow thruster installers. The Vetus installation in my boat should be relatively simple so I expect the cost for installation to be relatively low. If I'm wrong about that, the other options (Side-Power) will definitely be considered.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Clearance by the ruder ? and is the price with the ignition proof housing ? if so sounds like a deal
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I got the tunnel installed on the transom and today installed the motor and glassed in the support for the motor. I have to run the battery cables and finish up on the control cables including a wireless control which is due in tomorrow.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

comodave wrote:I got the tunnel installed on the transom and today installed the motor and glassed in the support for the motor. I have to run the battery cables and finish up on the control cables including a wireless control which is due in tomorrow.

Photos ? Thanks
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I don't have photos of the tunnel install yet. Just of cutting the 8" hole in the transom. I will try to take some photos of the tunnel tomorrow. I had to build up the port and starboard sides of the hole to remove the camber of the transom. I put wax paper on the face of the tunnel and liberally coated it with thickened epoxy then bolted it at 12 and 6 o'clock to draw it up. Then cleaned up the squeeze out. After the epoxy went off I removed the tunnel and then filled the 12 and 6 o'clock positions with epoxy. Sanded the epoxy smooth and then put 5200 on and bolted the tunnel on.
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG (53.12 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG (41.06 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
Trojan has been sold
Au Gres, Michigan
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Looking good so far!
Currently Trojan-less :?
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

Got the tunnel and motor mounted. Just have to install the battery and battery cabling.
Attachments
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG (33.65 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
Trojan has been sold
Au Gres, Michigan
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

comodave wrote:Got the tunnel and motor mounted. Just have to install the battery and battery cabling.
Looks good! What make and model are you installing? What's the length, beam, and displacement of your boat? I think the Vetus 3512 (35 kgf, 77 lbf) should work well on my boat (26 foot length, 10 foot beam, 6000 pound displacement). I'm afraid the Vetus 2512 might not be strong enough.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I went with a Side Power 8hp with dual props. I don't remember the exact model right now. I went with SP due to being able to upgrade it to the variable speed controller. With that you can run the thruster longer and it has a hold function for docking. My boat is a 41' President DC. It is 13'5" beam with a 3'6" draft anf displacement empty of 22500 pounds. More likely closer to 28000 pounds loaded. Not sure how the 8hp will work, but I think it will be OK.
Trojan has been sold
Au Gres, Michigan
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I am almost done with the stern thruster installation. Just need to finish up some small details and pretty up the area of the thruster. Also need to get power to the wireless remote control. The wireless remote will come in handy when docking or locking since my wife handles the bow and I have to get the stern lines after getting down from the helm before the stern drifts away from the dock.
Attachments
IMG_1318.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
IMG_4.jpg
IMG_4.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
Trojan has been sold
Au Gres, Michigan
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Looks like you have made excellent progress! That will sure be nice when the cross winds kick up and start pushing that beast every which way, but straight.
Currently Trojan-less :?
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

Finished up the installl. Did a quick test with the joy stick and the wireless remote. It works in both directions. Can't wait to see how well it does in the water.
Trojan has been sold
Au Gres, Michigan
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Great thread!
Thanks for posting your project. I was completely unaware of what exactly a stern thruster was, and now I know.
I checked out the operation of them on youtube and that looks like a great piece of equipment.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"