It is I, yet again...Needing clarification on Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

daisymai2011

Re: It is I, yet again...Needing clarification on Trojan

Post by daisymai2011 »

Hi thanks for response ...(1989 12 m international convertible) Can you pls let me know how you know for certain it's balsa core ? e.g did you see a cut hull, did you read it in a manual or talk to someone involved in the production process or someone who owns one ? My surveyor seemed to think it was solid fibreglass? Had I not seen the discussion here about balsa core I wouldn't have thought twice about the issue ...
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

According to Charlie Underwood who was President of Trojan Boats, all Internationals larger than the 10 meter were balsa core

Take a look at his story at

http://trojanboat.com/

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

My 1988 12m International Sportfisherman is cored.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
daisymai2011

Post by daisymai2011 »

Hi Thks for quick reply (1989 12m international convertible sports fisher)....there is a transducer on bottom that might have been added after production ---just checking into this ... any general thought about this ...Thks
Last edited by daisymai2011 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daisymai2011

Post by daisymai2011 »

Hi ....also if all international series above 10 m were cored ... does that mean sides & bottom as well?

Anyone aware of hull failures with Trojans ?

Thks
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Ok here is the whole truth on Trojan International boats and coring.

10 meters were not cored
10.8 had about 10 percent cored
11, 12, 13, 14 International Trojans were cored Hull, Sides everything. Anywhere there was something that went through the hull below the water line was not cored. Like through hull fitting, Generator exhaust, struts, AC raw water pick up. The center line of about 1' wide bow to stern was not cored.

Our records show no reported problems with the coring on any 12.13.14 meter boats.

Our records show on two 11 meters there was a problem with the coring. One was caused by a leaking kitchen faucet that sprayed a mist up the bulkhead and the water found its way into the core of the side of the board.

The second one was caused by a bad caulking job at factory on the transom. Water coming over the back of the boat found its way into the coring of the stern.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
daisymai2011

Post by daisymai2011 »

Thanks Bob ... I really appreciate the information...do you know if the 1989 12 m sf international would have come with a transducer on the lower part of the starboard hull ? The boat I'm looking at has one but when hit with a .. ---if it was installed after factory it would have been done at least 10 years ago ...
...... regarding the deck & hull joint ---it is covered by a rubber seal & stainless steel rubrail & the sealant has failed on the transom gate for about six inches (did the situation with the 11 m involve anything like this?) ... ....there is also a few soft spots on the deck (one is 2 ft by 2 ft) ...finally just wondering if fishing rod holders in the gunwhale would have been factory or not because there are a few hairline cracks around them ... Thks for any further info you or anyone else are able to provide ...
Last edited by daisymai2011 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

The transducer was most likely added later. Unless she was order with the X package.

We recomand to potential Trojan buyers to get a owners manual. This way they can use the original invoice as a check list when doing the survey. That way they can see what she came with is still there and working.

As for the transome gate. Just remove / cut away the old sealant and re caulk with 3M 5200 sealant. This is not the same problem that happen with the 11 meter. The 11 meter problem was a factory screw up on one boat.

The rod holders were most likely added latter. The spider cracks are the results of drilling the wholes wrong. Gelcoat is like glass and needs to have a release cut when drilling a whole otherwise it will spider crack. This is only cosmetic and is not a problem.

The soft spot is a problem and must be dealt with ASAP it is like cancer and will spread. You should get a big cut in price of boat for the soft spot or have owner repair before you buy.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
(609)713-4602
daisymai2011

Post by daisymai2011 »

Hi bob ... Thks again for info ... really helpful ...do you have any idea how much deck repair could cost? Or what sort of discount I should ask for ... I've heard varying reports on cost ....I guess for some situations the cost is cheaper & others crazy expensive ...I would be considering what the worst case scenerio cost would be ...thanks for any additional info you are able to provide ...⚓️
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Call us
609 713 4602
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
(609)713-4602
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

Dang it YachtSurvey.com! All these years I thought only the 14m was a cored hull because that's what that site says. It certainly seems like it was done right in all models though. I've always avoiding considering a 14m in lieu of a 12 or 13 - which turns out to have been ignorant.

On the F-36 I restored, the entire flybridge was rotten and there were several soft spots on the bow. Fixing the bow spots was one of the easiest projects on that boat. As for the bridge deck, I just cut the entire thing out, built a new one in my garage, set it in place and glassed it in one weekend. Not bad.
However, a wet core in the hull would be quite a hassle for a DIYer. It sounds like there haven't been any real problems though. I suppose there's no condensation when the hull temp stays pretty constant in the water.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'm in the market for a new boat this winter.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have found a lot of miss information on YachtSurvey
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

JUICE !

YOU ARE BACK !

GET THEE INTO A TROJAN !

NO SEA RAY OR WELLCRAFT WILL DO

NO CENTER CONSOLE OUTBOARD EITHER

THOU NEEDEST AN ICEMAKER ONBOARD

International?

Or maybe Rossjo's F series with diesels ???

Anyway...

Hope to see ya here soon !

We're in for a Ft Myers Resendevous real soon

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED