1972 F-36 Window Frame Rust Removal of Replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fdean396

1972 F-36 Window Frame Rust Removal of Replacement

Post by fdean396 »

I have spots of rust bubbling up under the paint on my F-36 windows. Is there anything that can be done to stop and treat the rust? I had the forward windows replaced about 10 years ago and at that the time the window company that replaced them said the window frames had corrosion and they couldn't guarantee they would not leak. I recently noticed a little while powder along a portion of the lower inside seam of the windows in the main cabin. Could that be corrosion from the aluminum frames? Has any one replaced their window frames and if so how much did it cost? I'm sure the frame would have to be custom made. The glass and their panels are new, in excellent condition and I would think they could be reused.

I'm also having the same problems with my port and starboard side windows and frames. Has anyone eplaced their F-36 windows and frames and if so how how much did it cost to do so?

Thanks,
Frank
Plan B
Plan B
1972 - F36
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1972 F-36 Window Frame Rust Removal of Replacement

Post by captainmaniac »

Can't really help much.... but thought I would reply so you don't feel ignored!

Never had problems with corrosion. I am in fresh water - I am guessing you are in salt? Different situation. I did clean up / sand a few spots down to bare metal / reprime / paint my frames a couple of years back to freshen them up and deal with some paint that had chipped/flaked off (and aluminum was exposed). The main thing was to get primer on very quickly after sanding / exposing the aluminum to stop oxidization from starting, than get paint on fairly quickly before primer and other surfaces got contaminated with 'stuff'. I only dealt with exterior face surfaces (didn't have to deal with anything inside of the tracks). Paint I used was Interlux Brightside (Black). Did 2 coats in the end. Probably not much use, but here are a few pics of work in progress.

IMG_2360_zps926bd9a4.jpg
IMG_2360_zps926bd9a4.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
IMG_2373_zps39dc2504.jpg
IMG_2373_zps39dc2504.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
IMG_2387_zpsf65e6f14.jpg
IMG_2387_zpsf65e6f14.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
IMG_2388_zps5ca888cf.jpg
IMG_2388_zps5ca888cf.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 1368 times

But as far as the glass goes:
I have had one pane of the forward windows on my F32 replaced a few years ago, but have never had to deal with the sides. I would expect for the sides it would be easy enough to scale cost up or down based on window size and what you paid before (factoring in price changes over the years!)... If a windshield pane was cut from a piece of glass of certain dimensions, just figure out that size piece of glass the side pane would need to be cut from and scale cost based on the difference.

Realistically, you are paying for the glass and the removal / installation. There are no funky cuts needed for these windows, so cutting one shape vs another is not likely to cost much different. But side panes are easier to get in / out as it is really just a matter of pulling the H-channel off the glass then lifting the glass out, putting the new in place and sliding the H-channel onto the top and bottom edges to hold it in place. Not the crazy screw / scrape caulk / pull off facing aluminum frame without buggering it / re-seal / reinstall frame / put all the screws back in process the front panes need.
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I've had my frames out, sand blasted, painted (acrylic enamel) and reinstalled them.
No small job
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Ktmrider39

Post by Ktmrider39 »

Could you provide information on how to remove the side sliding windows? I have searched the web and cannot find out any information. I am wanting to replace the slider channel and fix one cracked glass. Im at my whits end

Dale Brown
dalebrowncert@gmail.com
443-354-2300
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Ktmrider39 wrote:Could you provide information on how to remove the side sliding windows? I have searched the web and cannot find out any information. I am wanting to replace the slider channel and fix one cracked glass. Im at my whits end

Dale Brown
dalebrowncert@gmail.com
443-354-2300

Dale, you probably want to start a new thread. Much easier to track responses that way.
Currently Trojan-less :?