Great Lakes water levels

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Great Lakes water levels

Post by captainmaniac »

It's going to be an interesting season... highest water levels in Lake Ontario in decades.

Water levels in Lake Ontario usually don't peak until some time in June, but at this point we are 4-6" away from the fuel dock at my marina being awash. The dock is usually (even at high water) 1.5 - 2' above water level. The fun part : over the next four days they are calling for 2-3" of more rain!
IMG_0056 - Small.JPG
IMG_0056 - Small.JPG (108.34 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
IMG_0059 - Small.JPG
IMG_0059 - Small.JPG (117.49 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
IMG_0073 - Small.JPG
IMG_0073 - Small.JPG (146.95 KiB) Viewed 10931 times
Last fall the marina (really City) pulled out all fixed docks, half of which would be under water at this point. New floating docks are going in. My launch was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but only 20%-30% of the floating docks are in place so far (not including mine) - and no power or water on them yet...., so deferred launch. Glad I did! There is nothing safe out there to tie to! With the right (wrong) conditions, some boats could actually be thrown on top of the pier.

I have seen similar levels with some of the old fixed docks under water before (very late 70's or maybe early 80's), but nothing to this degree.

aaaarrrrgggghhh.... having trouble getting pictures to attach right!
Last edited by captainmaniac on Fri May 05, 2017 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Great Lakes water levels

Post by zedtwentyate »

I was just speaking to a friend who keeps their boat in Sodus Bay on the south shore near Oswego. They said the entire bay is a no wake zone right now and there's a state of emergency. Crazy!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

There are about 700 people who live on Toronto Island (or the Toronto Islands if you want to get picky, as people live on Wards Island, Iroquois Island, etc... but commonly known as Toronto Island). The city of Toronto is looking at evacuating them due to water levels broaching the shore!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Not sounding too good .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Wow

What is interesting to me is the lake is still 6" below today's all time high, which was set in 1973. Another 6" of water looks like it would be a complete mess!

How do you turn Niagara Falls off for a while?
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

gitchisum wrote:
How do you turn Niagara Falls off for a while?
Alright -- Who's going to tell him? Not it! :D
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Way to burst my bubble P-Dogg :mrgreen:
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Hey Cap, I remember pulling up to that gas dock in your first pic and it was a step up from the boat, levels are really climbing and there is a way to go yet.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

And it continues.... "Lake Ontario's water levels are at their highest ever — breaking a record that had stood since 1952 — according to data from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. " Usually the levels peak in June, but (from something I just read) last year it peaked in May and the year before it peaked in July... so nobody knows when to really expect peak. Hope Jimbo gets out of the boathouse soon or he may not for a while!

Here's a shot of the police dock as of this past weekend - you can see the difference. And we have had a couple inches of rain since then!
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG (192.59 KiB) Viewed 10746 times
Will check it out again tomorrow.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

captainmaniac wrote:And it continues.... "Lake Ontario's water levels are at their highest ever — breaking a record that had stood since 1952 — according to data from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. " Usually the levels peak in June, but (from something I just read) last year it peaked in May and the year before it peaked in July... so nobody knows when to really expect peak. Hope Jimbo gets out of the boathouse soon or he may not for a while!

Here's a shot of the police dock as of this past weekend - you can see the difference. And we have had a couple inches of rain since then!
IMG_0205.JPG
Will check it out again tomorrow.
Hey Captain, We were 1/4" off the ceiling last Thursday with a strong easterly, Dropped down a couple of inches since. I installed anchors with "D" hooks today into the concrete foundation and strapped the bow down hoping another rise in water level will raise the stern and prevent the windshield crushing. Getting out is only a secondary concern at this point. :?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

jimbo36 wrote:Hey Captain, We were 1/4" off the ceiling last Thursday with a strong easterly, Dropped down a couple of inches since. I installed anchors with "D" hooks today into the concrete foundation and strapped the bow down hoping another rise in water level will raise the stern and prevent the windshield crushing. Getting out is only a secondary concern at this point. :?
Maybe 40 fat friends and a bit of extra bilge water is moving its way up the list of options... You are in Belleville, aren't you? I didn't think any of the marinas there had covered slips... or is the boat house at home? How deep is the water there? Just have a few more crazy thoughts bouncing around in my head...
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I was down there again today and not much difference from last weekend. I think part of it was last weekend the wind was fairly strong and out of the east, so that helped pile things up at our end of the lake. Today there was virtually no wind, so new water because of recent rains and continued dumping of Lake Erie into Lake Ontario was balanced out with the lack of the surge.

Just for a comparison, here is a shot of the old travel lift area today:
2017 Launch Area.JPG
2017 Launch Area.JPG (151.74 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Here is a shot of the same area on launch day 2015:
2015 Launch.JPG
2015 Launch.JPG (184.12 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
You can see the difference in water level when you look at how high the 'causeway' for the travel lift is above the water, or the dock to the right, a portion of which is submerged today!

This shot is of the main asphalt pier that used to have our washroom/shower/laundry facilities, and BBQ / picnic area... the building used to be where the cement blocks and blue bin can be seen, and the white things sticking up in a line to the right are posts with power and water outlets for the slips that used to be there:
Main Dock.JPG
Main Dock.JPG (123.49 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
The barge on the left is up against the pier... believe it or not...
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Today on the WeatherNetwork... "Largest Lake Ontario water discharge ever is underway"

With the greatest rate of discharge ever, the expectation is that after a week of running at that flow rate, Lake Ontario water levels will fall by 1cm. For our American folks... there are 2.5cm in 1 inch.... So if they keep this up, we can lower the lake by a foot in about 30 weeks.... Know it will come down sooner (with evaporation etc) but still.... this is a total mess.

Many of my typical boating destinations are closed due to water levels, so this summer is going to suck.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... sday/83198
Carrizales

Post by Carrizales »

captainmaniac wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 pm Today on the WeatherNetwork... "Largest Lake Ontario water discharge ever is underway"

With the greatest rate of discharge ever, the expectation is that after a week of running at that flow rate, Lake Ontario water levels will fall by 1cm. For our American folks... there are 2.5cm in 1 inch.... So if they keep this up, we can lower the lake by a foot in about 30 weeks.... Know it will come down sooner (with evaporation etc) but still.... this is a total mess.

Many of my typical boating destinations are closed due to water levels, so this summer is going to suck.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... sday/83198
What are the water levels like at the moment?
Last edited by Carrizales on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

We have gone down perhaps a couple of inches. Will take a closer look this weekend... hoping to finally launch on Thursday!