New WIFI hotspot for You

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Who's going to step up and be the guinny pig and buy this thing so he can tell the rest of us how it works. I need something like this for my laptop...but is it for real???
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i use a verizon aircard with this device below and can share many connections if i wish, been using this for 3 years now works excellent. probably can find it cheaper but heres a link to amazons price. simple plug in air card and turn on your wifi on the computer and find the unit. can set up security with it if you want to be selective on who can log on. i use my air card everywhere on the boat while i am camping and going down the freeway nothing like the freedom. yes its slower than a cable modem but i download all types of things and its more than adequate. why pay for cable when i am not at home all the time and want to get on the internet. thats why i use satellite for tv also.

http://www.amazon.com/Cradlepoint-CTR-3 ... B001FWH0A0
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Thanks g36. I'll look into it.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
sehord
Sporadic User

Post by sehord »

ok I bit the bullet and bought one (virgin's mifi).... best buy and Radio shack has them for $150..... I am on it now listening to pandora radio and surfing the net. I just got it last night, so I am not sure how it is with others connected to it at the same time, but I have sent and recieved mail in my car and can now surf too.... I like it . The 5 people hot spot is a bonus for my 11 year old son and his ipod crap... but i like the no contract and $40 a month unlimited usage. so far so good, if i decide different it's so small it looks like it'll make a good skipping rock across the bay.... I'l let you know!
A ship in a harbor is safe.... But that's not what ships were built for
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

sehord wrote:ok I bit the bullet and bought one (virgin's mifi).... best buy and Radio shack has them for $150..... I am on it now listening to pandora radio and surfing the net. I just got it last night, so I am not sure how it is with others connected to it at the same time, but I have sent and recieved mail in my car and can now surf too.... I like it . The 5 people hot spot is a bonus for my 11 year old son and his ipod crap... but i like the no contract and $40 a month unlimited usage. so far so good, if i decide different it's so small it looks like it'll make a good skipping rock across the bay.... I'l let you know!
How fast is it? Can you do a speed test with it? Do you broadband modem at home? If so is it fast like cable modem?
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Droid 8)
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
sehord
Sporadic User

Post by sehord »

I guess I could speed test it.... do you have a site that i can go to to do that?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

sehord wrote:I guess I could speed test it.... do you have a site that i can go to to do that?
www.speedtest.net
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
sehord
Sporadic User

Post by sehord »

ok... my wireless in my house ( i am on my laptop all the time and do not use a direct line which I know is faster....) has a download 5.3 mbs and an upload of .33 mbs. With my wireless card it is .24 download and .14 upload. Big difference, but for what I have used it for so far it has been great.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

air card will never be what a cable modem is for speed. its not really the point. the freedom of using it wherever you are is. not having to sit at home. never really cared but i just ran a speed test on my verizon card using the above link heres my results for those who are interested
1.01 mb/s download
.59 mb/s upload
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish