F 36 Convertible

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

cclark75006 You say you found a lot with 383 and 360s ? I assume you are also looking at tri cabins ? not just the convertible model ?

Good engines but you won't find them in the conv. Unless they have been replace but I never seen that size used in the conv when repowered
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

The 360, which is a small block, was offered in the F32. Haven't seen one in an F36...yet.

I don't think any 383 was offered in a package. Just the 318, 360 and 440.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The 383 and 400 where used in marine use , just not that comon seen both in a tricabin
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Stuck on the upper Mississippi with mine, not going to find any "blue water". Big swells here are 2'-4' in sections where the river is 2 mi wide. On those days, I do enjoy running through it when all the other river type boats can't play in rougher water :)

It seems like the worst thing is fighting soft decks in our older trojans. It can be fixed, but its labor intensive. Other than that, the are solid tanks at 10 tons.

I have 454s. I burn about 5 g/hr at 10mph and get about 1.9 mpg doing so. I burn just about 50 g/hr at WOT at see 32.7 mph on the GPS. Its configured with 1.92:1 gears and has 3 blade 20x22 wheels (at least that is what is stamped on them). As Paul stated, its important to find a boat who's engines have been maintained. I got lucky when I found ours several years ago, both engines had been rebuilt, installed and had < 10 hours on them.

Good luck with your search...
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Larry (PlanSea) has 383's in his F36 - they've been bored to 400 ... when he bought it they were advertised as 440's but turns out they weren't. (His boat is docked at the mouth of our "creek", so I see it a lot since he bought it about a year ago).

Larry would also LOVE o share his experiences with getting his cooling problems fixed. It seems that the water pump does double duty as both the Seawater pump AND the Coolant Pump. Both pumps are on the same shaft, and simply separated form each other with a seal. When he (or the prior owner) but a radiator cap with higher pressure on it, the coolant water was pushed through the seal to the raw-water side and pumped out. Larry was constantly running his closed cooling system low/dry, yet had no leaks. He was going crazy and then discovered this oddity. I'm sure he'll be happy to explain it in more details, but this is good to know about (and how would you find THAT problem?).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

rossjo wrote:Larry (PlanSea) has 383's in his F36 - they've been bored to 400 ... when he bought it they were advertised as 440's but turns out they weren't. (His boat is docked at the mouth of our "creek", so I see it a lot since he bought it about a year ago).

Larry would also LOVE o share his experiences with getting his cooling problems fixed. It seems that the water pump does double duty as both the Seawater pump AND the Coolant Pump. Both pumps are on the same shaft, and simply separated form each other with a seal. When he (or the prior owner) but a radiator cap with higher pressure on it, the coolant water was pushed through the seal to the raw-water side and pumped out. Larry was constantly running his closed cooling system low/dry, yet had no leaks. He was going crazy and then discovered this oddity. I'm sure he'll be happy to explain it in more details, but this is good to know about (and how would you find THAT problem?).

WOW!!! I thought I'd seen it all in older boats.
I guess I would have maybe noticed the weird configuration of hoses coming from the pump. Who's the manufacturer of the engine?
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

I've got the Chrysler 440's in my boat. If your going with gas engines the F 36 needs big block engines to run the boat the way the designers intended.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's