Your Lottery Boat (Dream Boat)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:Like Tony said how green was the making of those batteries ? and if you run the Diesel its not so green is it ?

Just like how E10 is more "green " then reg. gas . the final product maybe but getting there is not .

I am all in favor of cleaner running engines , they are a win win as the run better and burn less fuel . but there are limits .

Diesel Electric works on trains for sure , but so far Its not in boats and cars in spite of the claims

Some of the tree hugers and AL gore types seem to want to tell evey one how to be green , but don't live it them selves .

how about a cement sail boat ? that woud be green ? and yes they will float
i just like the boat and the technology. i'm not advocating that everyone needs to live green. inspite of the hybrid technology concept, which is an option, one can order it w/ regular diesel. the over all design is just something that appeals to me. the drop down transom, the fit and finish, everything about the boat is amazing.
and i will leave it at that. tabled. 8)
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
gruhs

Post by gruhs »

good morning from cold/snowy NW Indiana. In the summer good old Lake Michigan provides us with plenty of good boating water but in winter... it provides us with plenty of "lake effect" snow :-(
Anyway... I'm a sucker for the old boats and here is my current interest... (which changes frequently)

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Be ... ted-States
1977 Trojan Tri-cabin
"Seaweed"
Home port East Chicago, In.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

it's a statement from the past . that's what I like about the old boats
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Nice Bertram. A little too big for me though, I'd have to do something about my slip. The biggest I can do there would be a 42'. Then again, if it were lottery money, hey, sky's the limit 8)
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

alexander38 wrote:it's a statement from the past . that's what I like about the old boats
hi tony, prior to us buying the tri cabin, phil discovered a 1979 bertram 42 in annapolis. he actually went to look at it and was impressed with her over all condition and he loved the gm diesels. we almost put a bid in on it, but, there were no slips available at parkside to accomodate her. she was a nice boat though. so, what do you think of my idea of a complete refit of the tri cabin? cost effective? she still turns heads and everyone that steps onboard cannot believe she is only 36'.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

gruhs wrote:good morning from cold/snowy NW Indiana. In the summer good old Lake Michigan provides us with plenty of good boating water but in winter... it provides us with plenty of "lake effect" snow :-(
Anyway... I'm a sucker for the old boats and here is my current interest... (which changes frequently)

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Be ... ted-States
my god she's a beauty!!! gotta love that bertram profile and the deep v design.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
gruhs

Post by gruhs »

It's big alright... (the Bertram couple posts back) don't think I could even keep it in our current marina, but then they haven't drawn my number yet anyway...
1977 Trojan Tri-cabin
"Seaweed"
Home port East Chicago, In.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

aaronbocknek wrote:
alexander38 wrote:it's a statement from the past . that's what I like about the old boats
hi tony, prior to us buying the tri cabin, phil discovered a 1979 bertram 42 in annapolis. he actually went to look at it and was impressed with her over all condition and he loved the gm diesels. we almost put a bid in on it, but, there were no slips available at parkside to accomodate her. she was a nice boat though. so, what do you think of my idea of a complete refit of the tri cabin? cost effective? she still turns heads and everyone that steps onboard cannot believe she is only 36'.
the standard tri is a nice boat, But I'd find a TRI-FLY if I was to re-fit one, I like a bridge..
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Once you have a flybrige is hard to go back .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

aaronbocknek wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Like Tony said how green was the making of those batteries ? and if you run the Diesel its not so green is it ?

Just like how E10 is more "green " then reg. gas . the final product maybe but getting there is not .

I am all in favor of cleaner running engines , they are a win win as the run better and burn less fuel . but there are limits .

Diesel Electric works on trains for sure , but so far Its not in boats and cars in spite of the claims

Some of the tree hugers and AL gore types seem to want to tell evey one how to be green , but don't live it them selves .

i just like the boat and the technology. i'm not advocating that everyone needs to live green. inspite of the hybrid technology concept, which is an option, one can order it w/ regular diesel. the over all design is just something that appeals to me. the drop down transom, the fit and finish, everything about the boat is amazing.
Will you be trading in the Tri cabin ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

alexander38 wrote: wonder how long the pay back is on the green house gas that it takes to make those li lon batteries.
More importantly is what do you do with the batteries when they are in need of replacement. Lithium is toxic to ground water supplies, and is worse than lead and sulphur that you get from traditional wet cells when it comes to safe disposal. For this concept to be truly green something needs to happen with the used batteries that doesn't involve polluting groundwater supplies. Having no impact for 10 years and then having a toxic waste dump on your hands isn't a solution. Its kicking the can down the road a decade and having a worse mess on your hands at that point.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

and without gettin in to it to deep...that's what the huggers are best at...but we have a place to hit that topic...and I'm more than willin to debate it.. :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:

Will you be trading in the Tri cabin ?
no, no trade in on the tri. i love what i have. i just like the design of the greenline. the tri is all the boat that i (we) need.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Start a thread if you like in that 'other' place. I live in the woods in a state park and went to an environmental college. I'm more than qualified to have that discussion. There is a lot more than anyone suspects that is wrong with the green movement. Making green cool is the biggest problem as I see it because it just becomes monkey see monkey do and nobody checks to see the real implications of thier actions. They just want to be part of the 'in' crowd. I could go on for days about all the 'red herrings' in the 'green camp'.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Interestingly enough, battery manufacturing was featured on "How it's Made" last night. Every part of an old wet cell battery is recycled; the plastic, all the metals, electrolyte and coatings. It was an interesting show. The bulldozers used to move the material around don't last very long as they're always bathed in acid. When you think about a containment area in this operation, they are huge pits that the batteries get dumped into and moved around by the dozers. The pits are huge and constructed of thick concrete layers of protective membranes etc. I think this place was in Pittsburg, and is one of the largest battery manufacturers. The Plastics and metals are reused to build more batteries while the coatings and electrolyte are processed and used for things like detergents, fertilizers etc. I'm sure eventually there will be a mass recycle process for lithium batteries if not already.

It really is up to us as consumers to be vigilant and do our part to assure these products/materials don't make thier way into dump sites but that they are properly disposed of so they can be put back to use instead of harming the environment that I play in. There was note stating how many batteries make it back into the recycling stream but I didn't catch the number.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year