Offer just acceted on 1981 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Thanks for the great info. I will start with no insulation and see how it is. You are right, I will be on the bridge since I do not have a lower helm! They put a wet bar in its place...seems more useful anyway.

I am having an engine survey done, not sure about oil analysis that wasn't mentioned, just compression test etc.

I am getting excited but anxious about the rest of the survey. I can't go back to the seller...he has made it clear he isn't taking anymore off. The surveyor thinks he got the boat two years go for$25,000 so I can see his point. It is very clean and looks well cared for.

I will probably have a lot of questions for you guys. I was raised on 42ft 1969 pacemaker, but as an adult the largest boat I've owned is my 24ft Stingray. Not sure about simple things like routine use and care of the head, is there a pump out gauge so you know when it's full? Do you put chemical in the holding tank? Mine is freshwater with a macerater.

Gonna have a lot lol
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Thanks for the great info. I will start with no insulation and see how it is. You are right, I will be on the bridge since I do not have a lower helm! They put a wet bar in its place...seems more useful anyway.

I am having an engine survey done, not sure about oil analysis that wasn't mentioned, just compression test etc.

I am getting excited but anxious about the rest of the survey. I can't go back to the seller...he has made it clear he isn't taking anymore off. The surveyor thinks he got the boat two years go for$25,000 so I can see his point. It is very clean and looks well cared for.

I will probably have a lot of questions for you guys. I was raised on 42ft 1969 pacemaker, but as an adult the largest boat I've owned is my 24ft Stingray. Not sure about simple things like routine use and care of the head, is there a pump out gauge so you know when it's full? Do you put chemical in the holding tank? Mine is freshwater with a macerater.

Gonna have a lot lol
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

No gage on the holding tank unless its been added
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Insulation

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

If you have ever seen a boat fire, you have about five minutes until she burns to the water line. The insurance company will not be able to tell what type of insulation was used. Obviously you should find the best fire resistant material available at a reasonable cost. Sound deadening super insulation just is not warranted as you won't be down near the engine room much while running and with carpeting over the plywood it's not that noisy.

Another reason for the insulation was to keep the engine heat from entering the cabin upon shut down at the dock. Out of respect for those docked next to you, you should take a look at what's out there for marine use but don't waste money on sound attenuating insulation. Your main concern would be heat.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

I agree - I think once it is taken out I will live with it for a while and see what it's like. I have other places to spend money on her. Maybe when the generator is fixed and reinstalled I will need it to deaden the generator noise. I am not to concerned about the generator since I do not have a/c.
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Finally after the seller has been dragging his feet the boat is supposed to go in today. Owner getting it ready over the weekend, engine survey Tuesday and Sea Trial Wednesday at 1pm.

He did not replace the through hull fitting (for the bilge pump) but just sealed it. The surveyor said it should be replaced. Is that an easy job?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

should be easy to replace . whats wrong with it ?

BTW you asked about reflashing the gen set , I did some checking and this is something thats when the gen set has has sat and lost its magnetic Field .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

prowlersfish wrote:BTW you asked about reflashing the gen set , I did some checking and this is something thats when the gen set has has sat and lost its magnetic Field .
Yeh, just ground the F- terminal to battery ground and with a lead to positive 'flash' it by holding the positive lead to F+ for 8 or 10 seconds.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

Actually from the outside the through hull fitting looks fine, I haven't seen inside because I don't own it yet so I don't know what the surveyor saw. The seller just sealed it, it looks fine to me the surveyor is just very cautious which is good.

It will be interesting to see what the deal with the generator is, the seller has it at an RV repair place but hasn't fixed it. I get it "as is" with the boat, my regular boat mechanic is going to take a look before I bring it to an Onan guy.
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

They finally launched her - survey and sea trial this week

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums/t49 ... _778-1.jpg
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

nice looking boat, 15,000? wow, even had good canvas... I 'm jealous
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Bet you can't wait till its all yours
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jeffsock

Post by jeffsock »

The canvas is like new...

I can't wait until she is mine.

I noticed the ladder on the swim platform is missing, bracket is there so I will check with seller. Also, do they usually have a pressurized water system from the dock water.. It has a garden hose type spigot.

I am looking forward to the sea trial Wednesday.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Good luck on the sea trial. Hope everything proves to be as good as it looks right now!
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Through Hull

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

It is easy to replace an above the water through hull. It's just a threaded shaft with a big nut on the inside. Hopefully he did not seal it with 5200 or it will be harder to remove. Just get a new one the same size and install it in the old hole and do the reverse of the removal. A lot of the older plastic through hulls tend to crack over time due to sunlight or age. I would replace with a chrome plated brass one so it never has to be done again. Not too expensive and a nice weekend project. This won't sink your boat overnight as it is above the water line. It probably should be done fairly soon to give you piece of mind.

If the plastic through hull threaded shaft were to break then your bilge pump would still run but it would not pump water overboard. Over some few days this would be a big problem.

Under $50 to do it in chrome plated brass or under $30 to replace with a plastic one.

Yes there is a fitting for connection of water from shore to have water supply directly from shore. You can also fill the on board water tank and use that but you have to turn on the onboard pump which will run until it pressurizes the whole boat water system including the water heater. Once it is up to pressure the on board pump shuts off.

I use the garden hose from shore to the boat as it gives better pressure and better quality water than what is sitting in the onboard tank. I also dont like pushing 450 lbs of water around the lake at $4.25 a gallon for gas.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke